20" versus 25" transoms, pros and cons of each?

Wild and Free

Reaction score
I bought my first Benny an 07 2275 GL tripple tube off the show room floor and didn't really know anthing about transoms. It had a 20" transom and I got a 150 Yamma engine with 20" shaft. Seems the 25" transoms are standard and I had to special order my new 2011 2275 GCW ESP with a 20" transom due to the fact I was keeping my old engine and putting it on the new boat., This was my first eye opener to there being different transoms when I was sitting at the salesmans desk specing out the new boat. Started to wonder why my first boat was ordered with a 20" transom when 25" seems to be more common and the standard. I also see that having a 20" transom limits the engine choices available also.

My questions are what advantage is there of one over the other?

Pros and cons of each?

Just looking for some info to quech my intellectual thirst for knowledge.

I have found next to no info regaurding this topic on other forums also so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my first Benny an 07 2275 GL tripple tube off the show room floor and didn't really know anthing about transoms. It had a 20" transom and I got a 150 Yamma engine with 20" shaft. Seems the 25" transoms are standard and I had to special order my new 2011 2275 GCW ESP with a 20" transom due to the fact I was keeping my old engine and putting it on the new boat., This was my first eye opener to there being different transoms when I was sitting at the salesmans desk specing out the new boat. Started to wonder why my first boat was ordered with a 20" transom when 25" seems to be more common and the standard. I also see that having a 20" transom limits the engine choices available also.

My questions are what advantage is there of one over the other?

Pros and cons of each?

Just looking for some info to quech my intellectual thirst for knowledge.

I have found next to no info regaurding this topic on other forums also so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Wild & Free,

Bennington follows trends in engine manufacturing so we'll have the right package for the end user. The engine boys aren't in the habit of asking our opinion before designing engines. We've always been a fan of the 25" transom and 25" shaft engines for performance tritoons, but now Yamaha has a great SHO series 200-250 hp...with 20" shafts! SOOO...back to the drawing board we went to design an optional 20" transom for ESP tritoons, where transom height is simply a function of the chosen engine. Hope this helps. TB

Thanks for the reply, So there is not really a difference performance wise then. Good to know.

Back