2002 I/O Tritoon Drain Plug Stuck

350Driver

Reaction score
I have a 2002 2243RL I/O tritoon and the garboard drain plug is stuck. I've tried PB blaster, hammers, cheater bars, everything but heating it up with no luck. Going to try hearing it up tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas. Do y'all have any? We're expecting our first freezing temps of the year in a couple of days so I really need to get the water out of the bilge. I thought about removing the three screws holding the whole assembly in but if they have nuts on the backside rather than threads in the hull I'll be completely screwed as the engine will need to come out to put the threaded plate back in.

Thanks in advance!

Can you suck the water out with a shop vac?

I have a 2002 2243RL I/O tritoon and the garboard drain plug is stuck. I've tried PB blaster, hammers, cheater bars, everything but heating it up with no luck. Going to try hearing it up tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas. Do y'all have any? We're expecting our first freezing temps of the year in a couple of days so I really need to get the water out of the bilge. I thought about removing the three screws holding the whole assembly in but if they have nuts on the backside rather than threads in the hull I'll be completely screwed as the engine will need to come out to put the threaded plate back in.

Thanks in advance!

Was that "starboard" drain plug.
How many drain plugs do you have?
Can you get most of the water out with the bilge pump then like Mattb said get the rest with the shop vac?
Also where is the water coming from that is in the bilge?
If you tried all of that heating it up might be your last resort..........

Something else, if you can loosen the plate that holds the drain bung, can you just drain it through the plate opening, without pulling the bolts out all the way?

Something else, if you can loosen the plate that holds the drain bung, can you just drain it through the plate opening, without pulling the bolts out all the way?
I doubt it. There's a serious layer of 5200 under it. Going to call Bennington and see if I can take the plate off.

Heat is what has always worked for me on aluminum, but you have to be very careful since you need to heat it faster than the carbon or stainless steel plug, fitting, bolt etc. When I was a kid working at the boat shop, we used oxy/acetylene on lower unit bolts. Never did like that job very much..

Last edited:
We got it. Had to take it to a machine shop, but it's out.

I placed a call to Bennington about it and have to give them a lot of credit for a prompt return phone call. Excellent customer support!
How was it removed? And........Did you use anti seize on it when reinstalling the plug?

Used an easy out after I heated it up. Crescent wrench on the easy out and vice grips on the exposed thread on the plug.

Haven't put it back in yet, but when I do it'll have some teflon tape when I put it back in.

Replace with a brass plug.
Use dope &/or tape so you do not need to over tighten to obtain seal.

Back