2014 scwx with yamaha 150

B Smith

Reaction score
Ok...I have been just a little disappointed since buying my boat 2 years ago. First, top speed with basically 3 adults one of them is our 14 year old son is 33 maybe 34. Keep in mind I now have a lift and the toons are clean. When I trim motor up before it begins to blowing out reaches 5500-5600 rpm. I don't recall what pitch prop I bought it is stainless 3 blade but the dealer stated this was the one I needed. I was told the boat should at least probably hit 40 mph, not much over. Can someone give some advice. PLEASE

Unless we know what prop you have, we can't help. It should be a 15p though.

Need to know the boat length and prop pitch and diameter plus what your RPM range is supposed to be as engines do vary.

Prop is a 14.5x15 solas. Top of rpm range my understanding is 6000. 22 ft bennington scwx. I am attaching a picture of my dash Sunday running wide open with motor trimmed half way up on gauge at 5600 rpm 33 mph. Again 3 adults. I really can't thank you all enough trying to help.

Attachments

• 20170824_201459.jpg
    20170824_201459.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180701_140716.jpg
    20180701_140716.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 50
Unless it’s a GPS speedo don’t count on it to be real accurate, a hand held GPS or phone app would be much more accurate. 15 pitch is about the area a lot of the guys are running here but I’m not real familiar with that brand of prop, I usually always try to use a manufacturers prop for the best results. I think I’d try a different prop before anything.

Thank you. It is a GPS speedo and matches my GPS on my phone. I am looking for any ideas as I have read on here from so many others they are hovering around 40 mph like the dealer stated.

How many logs and do you have strakes?

Yes sir 3 and I have stakes. I don't know if this helps but has tank is mounted in the rear of the center toon not sure exactly what package this is. If this is a prop issue as I can't get any higher rpm without it basically blowing out, 5600-5700 is tops. Do anyone have a recommendation on a brand and type of prop.

I have an Enertia by Mercury on our Honda and love it.

I too use the Mercury enertia SS prop with very good results. There are many on here that use that prop, so its certainly a very good option. Your prop size currently seems to be right in the range, but you never know tryign something slightly different that might result in until you do it.

There are also some other great props that other members use with great success as well. The Yamaha 150 is a very popular set up, so I gotta believe others will chime in with good recommendations too.

Will your local dealer work with you to “try out” props on a loaner/rental basis or are you stuck purchasing anything you experiment with?

Ok...I have been just a little disappointed since buying my boat 2 years ago. First, top speed with basically 3 adults one of them is our 14 year old son is 33 maybe 34. Keep in mind I now have a lift and the toons are clean. When I trim motor up before it begins to blowing out reaches 5500-5600 rpm. I don't recall what pitch prop I bought it is stainless 3 blade but the dealer stated this was the one I needed. I was told the boat should at least probably hit 40 mph, not much over. Can someone give some advice. PLEASE
Running a Yamaha Reliance SDS 14.5”x 17 pitch Yamaha 150/boat 22SSBXP tri with SPS. 1/4 tank with 2 people 40 mph @5900. 3/4 tank 38 mph @5700. Love this prop.

Thank you all for the information. It helps. After looking at the prop that is on the boat it is a solas stainless 3 blade 14.5x15. I am not sure what style toons I have but my has tank is in the rear of the center toon. I just think it should be faster.

Are you running a yamaha? That's a Mercury part # on the Solas box.

Late to the party here and new to toons but wondering which hole his motor is mounted in and are we sure the motor is making the power it should? Maybe a fuel restriction? With that load I would expect 35 unless the adults are large. Weight plays a huge part in speed and sometimes we forget that a 40 mph boat light will not be a 40 mph boat with 4-5 people.
Perhaps the engine is set too low or two high. Most of the Yam 150's light load with the right motor position and right pitch from the factory will run 6,000 but like I said, I am new to toons...
And everything I know is from Mono hulls and mostly CC's but with a Yam 150 there is a considerable difference in horsepower output between 5500 and 6000 which would account for several miles an hour...

Well all 3 of us are easily below 200 lbs a piece. Well I am hover it but wife and son no where near that. The yamaha motor is in the top hole so basically I am unable to raise it any higher to get it out of the water more. Fuel restriction I am not sure. It uses plenty, lol. How would a person check? Like I say I am not looking for a speed boat but if It is to do 38-maybe 40 then I want to do it. I read on here that most everyone else is in that general area but I am no where close.

On fuel, unless you have the Yamaha Command Link instruments or a separate fuel flow meter you can not see your fuel burn rate as it is happening. I have the Command Link on my 150 and love them. Not cheap but what is....
I went back and went through some Yamaha Performance bulletins and did notice one 22 with the Elliptical Performance Package with the Yamaha 150 and theirs was set hole #2. A SPS same size with same motor was at hole #1. Now if you were blowing out or over ventilating being further down might help. However, if you were ventilating it would seem you would see the RPM's go up and not see any increase in speed as your prop would not be grabbing water...
According to Bennington a boat like yours running light with 2 testers, 1/2 fuel and minimal gear was a 40-42 MPH boat.
I could be your 150 is just not making the power it should. Most of the Yam 150's usually make about 165 hp as evidenced by the burn rate of 16-16.5 gph. Mine burns 16.5 and hour at 6,000. The test prop I show in both of my Yamaha 150 tests with the Bennington 22SSX and 21SLX is listed at 14 1/2x15 # 68F-45970-10-00 and it got to 41 & 42 MPH at 6000 rpm.
Since you can not hit at least 5800 then there is something going on as you need to be getting more rpm.
With the prop listed above the difference in 5500 and 6000 was 3mph....

Back