2020 25 SXP 150 Yamaha

kcd3257

Reaction score
Hello All,
Looking to purchase a 2020 25SXP 150 Yamaha with the sps performance pkg.... coming from a 2014 24 SSRX with 2 toons and a Yamaha 90 i expect performance to be a bit different, any idea what to expect top end speed to be (approx) with 2 adults on board ? Anyone have any thoughts on the model as well.
Thanks in advance for all the input

If proped correctly you should be in the low 40s .I had a 150 on my 23ft RCW SA . 2 adults ,clean toons and a full tank I hit 38 . How ever Rs are heavier than Ss and the arch is about the weight of 2 adults .

That’s a pretty long boat, but the SPS option should help keep the weight down. However, at times you might feel it’s a bit underpowered. Any chance you can sea trial it before you buy?

That’s a pretty long boat, but the SPS option should help keep the weight down. However, at times you might feel it’s a bit underpowered. Any chance you can sea trial it before you buy?
can't sea trial it...its already out of the water...but if the previous post is correct anywhere near 40 will be a huge upgrade from my previous boat

I have a 2017 24’ SSBXP SPS with a 200 HP Mercury Verado (supercharger). Boat size, length and weight are probably pretty similar between our boats.

Prior to adding sea legs my 3rd season, I topped out at 44 mph on a very light load with my prop pretty dialed in. With 2-3 people, full tank of gas, carrying some items, it’d drop to about 41-42 mph at WOT.

Fully loaded with 6-10 people, gear, etc I’d drop down to 35-38 mph at WOT - which only lasted a couple seconds anyway do to people being “Really Jeff!?!” :D

If your 150 Yamaha is the normal version of that motor, not the VMAX, then I am leaning into about 37-39 for you with 2 people, normal load. I think you’d hit 40-41 mph at WOT if prop is dialed in on a light load in ideal water conditions. My guess is you’ll drop slightly more quickly than I did when heavily loaded down with people and gear.

Regardless, it will be a significant jump up from a 90 HP on dual toons. Significant!

Zoom, zoom. Enjoy!

Oh…and also, overall perfermance will be a game changer compared to that older pontoon of yours.

The SPS hulls with the 150+ HP motors are a great combination. They get up on plan quick. They turn and handle amazingly well, especially if paired with power assist steering. They really are a wonderful pontoon platform.

Oh…and also, overall perfermance will be a game changer compared to that older pontoon of yours.

The SPS hulls with the 150+ HP motors are a great combination. They get up on plan quick. They turn and handle amazingly well, especially if paired with power assist steering. They really are a wonderful pontoon platform.
thanks for the info

Check out this thread and you may find a very similar set-up

The previous post is correct .
can't sea trial it...its already out of the water...but if the previous post is correct anywhere near 40 will be a huge upgrade from my previous boat

Just for reference, I have a 21SXP +SPS and a 150, tops out at
Just for reference, I have a 21SXP +SPS and a 150, tops out at 40.
if i may ask, what prop and prop specs are you running ?? we have a merc quicksilver 4 blade 14 x 17 and cannot get above 5200 rpm with it, planes quick but top end with 2 adults is 32 ish GPS... looking to get more rpm out of her...any thoughts ???

I just found my suggested prop chart ,that Bennington provided to my dealer . The "suggested" prop for a 21 ft with a 150 is a 14 5/8 X 17 Enertia .
You can also check with Ken at Prop Gods .

Interesting recommendation. A 17p seems really high for a 150…perhaps the difference being on a shorter 22’ boat…? I would think a 14-15p enertia paired with a 150 would be a bit better. Also, a four blade is going to have an impact in that area too in conjunction with pitch. KCD…I’d personally go 3 blade, but I know some really like those 4 blade. I think a 4 blade combined with 17p is why you cannot get above 5200 rpm. You could try moving down 2-3 pitch with the four blade (should gain about 200-250 rpm per drop in pitch). Or switch to a 3 blade Mercury Enertia prop (much better prop), and start out with a 14-15p and see where that puts you. I would think either move gets you closer to where you want to be with RPM and performance.

Checking with Ken at Propgods in Jack’s link above is a great resource. He know’s his stuff, and can tailor it to what you are trying to accomplish.

I was surprised at that one myself . On a 22ft a 15X15 is suggested . The key word is suggested , the suggested for my 23 ft with a 250 is a 14 1/2 X18 Enertia .I have a 14.7X16 Enertia .My dealer did try the suggested and couldn't get the RPM's .

You having a 15p Enertia on your former 150 makes a lot of sense to me Jack. I have a 16p Enertia myself after dialing it in when we first purchasked the boat in 2017 (200 Mercury Verado Pro).

Prior to adding Sea Legs in 2020, Id’ be right between 5800-6000 RPM’s at WOT. Thus, that 17p four blade on a 150 does seem like the issue to me for KCD. No doubt dialing in a prop is part science and part art. Grin.

Completely wrong prop (obviously).

An Enertia on an I4 is going to struggle up top IMO. In order to get the RPMs up you're going to have to pitch-down as others have noted, which means more diameter but more drag at speed. If 40 is your goal I don't think you'll ever get there with an Enertia.

The Yamaha Reliance prop is made for your application. Not as much blade area as the Enertia which allows the RPMs to get up into range, as well as a balance of diameter, cup and rake to get some better top end speed. The sacrifice will be slower planing times and less bite in turns, but props are all about tradeoffs.

Im going to try and get a Reliance prop, 14.5X15 as suggested on here, but wow are they $$$$$
anyone have a used one ??

Back