2022 safety lanyard type

robburns76

Reaction score
It looks like there’s a couple different designs for the safety lanyards. Can someone Post a picture of what the key end of the safety lanyard looks like please? Would like to get a couple as a back up before the boat arrives hopefully in April :)

Every Benny that I've seen with Merc and Yam have had this type. Not sure on the Honda or Zuke.
Nice thing about this style is that boat can be operated without lanyard. Simply flip toggle switch up.

lanyard.png

Last edited:
Texas has Kali’s Law, mandatory to have it attached to us when underway. Took a little while to find a loose wrist lanyard that wasn’t too uncomfortable to wear.

IIRC it is federal law now that it must be used on all boats under 28'. I have always clipped it to my life vest. Was just looking for the end type because it looks like there were a few different styles and wanted to get a couple spares as stocking stuffers :). Can't wait for April to get here. (hopefully the boat will be built by then.)

IIRC it is federal law now that it must be used on all boats under 28'. I have always clipped it to my life vest. Was just looking for the end type because it looks like there were a few different styles and wanted to get a couple spares as stocking stuffers :). Can't wait for April to get here. (hopefully the boat will be built by then.)
I did not know that, thanks.
Here's an article...

This will be interesting to follow, because as of yet I have not heard of anyone being checked for it.
Most "cocktail cruising" is under 7 mph, so I think the enforcement officers will typically have better things to do than micro-managing responsible pontoon operators.

I did not know that, thanks.
Here's an article...

This will be interesting to follow, because as of yet I have not heard of anyone being checked for it.
Most "cocktail cruising" is under 7 mph, so I think the enforcement officers will typically have better things to do than micro-managing responsible pontoon operators.
I hate to admit it, but I have never attached the cut off lanyard when at the helm of my Bennginton. Hmmm. I know I “should”, but I don’t bother given how much I move around or adjust in my chair based on boating activity.

Now on the snowmobiles and jet ski I always attach them. Just not with the Bennginton. I guess I need to get with the times safety wise.

Depends on the State and Waterway on enforcement. There were a number of locations that were issuing warnings/educating everyone abou the need for it. Once i have it, i'm going to see how much of a PITA it is. if it is annoying I might look at this https://www.1stmate.com/content/firstMate/us/en/home.html. Ties in really nice with the Merc's but i'm getting a Yama, so we'll have to see.

Also, something that I did not know. If the clip is attached to you and you go over the boat would stop. Have you ever thought how would someone else come and get you? The boat can be started with out the lanyard attached to the key thing and the driver. Makes me feel good! In Florida it is required if the waters are controlled by government agency. Don't know the specifics but assume when you see official slow no wake Manatee signs they are. Would think private lakes are exempt, but really at least we do not have to wear a seat belt too!

Right!! We need a 20 foot retractable lanyard.....LOL
I hate to admit it, but I have never attached the cut off lanyard when at the helm of my Bennginton. Hmmm. I know I “should”, but I don’t bother given how much I move around or adjust in my chair based on boating activity.

Now on the snowmobiles and jet ski I always attach them. Just not with the Bennginton. I guess I need to get with the times safety wise.

Two key parts of it:
1. when the boat is operating on plane or above displacement speed. Situations in which an ECOS link would not be required include docking, launching and loading on a trailer, trolling and operating in no-wake zones.
2. The new law will be enforced by the Coast Guard in federal navigable waterways.

IMO, I really think it’s going to be a non-issue. This is no different than seat belt laws. Some will follow, some won’t.

I'm sure there will be instances of some over-zealous officers issuing these pointless citations.
But for the most part I don't see it being an issue. I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but maybe we SHOULD wear them if going over 40 mph?

Last edited:
We've always worn the lanyards when we had our jet skis and know we should wear it while underway on our boat. But to be honest we just haven't!

We've always worn the lanyards when we had our jet skis and know we should wear it while underway on our boat. But to be honest we just haven't!
Thats a good point. I always have the lanyard on with the jetski, its second nature now. The boat im at about 50% of the time, need to get better. I do like the wrist band vs the clip, easier to get on and off. I even modified it to fit loose on my wrist when cruising. Does that defeat the purpose, maybe, trying to just cooperate and graduate with the law.

Different for each OEM - see pics. You could always get a universal one and hope, or wait until delivery before ordering and ensure you get the right one. Newer model ignition switches may supersede with updated part numbers so you just never know unless you talk to your rigger and he knows what's in the crate.

CBAFBA00-C10F-4BA0-9210-FEE5A6A583C9.jpeg

8BF412DA-05A6-44B0-8978-E111B4E2F00D.jpeg

For Yamaha here is what I currently have:

Hopefully this will be a non issue in the future. I developed and have a US patent for a proximity sensor that knows when the captain is at the helm and above idle speed will kill the engine in the event it does not detect the captain present at the helm. This system requires no learned behavior and does not need silly lanyards or wireless devices to operate. The system will likely change safety in the boating industry and once and for all be a SOLUTION to runaway boats!

Hopefully this will be a non issue in the future. I developed and have a US patent for a proximity sensor that knows when the captain is at the helm and above idle speed will kill the engine in the event it does not detect the captain present at the helm. This system requires no learned behavior and does not need silly lanyards or wireless devices to operate. The system will likely change safety in the boating industry and once and for all be a SOLUTION to runaway boats!
My wife is the Captain, I just drive the boat! If something goes wrong it is my fault not the Captains. I will discuss this with my wife, the Captain is always right! Someone told me about this before.

I do not know one boater who uses a kill switch lanyard.

Back