2022 SVSR toon staining

brettb11

Reaction score
Looking for info on what is causng this bleeding/staining on a 2022 SVSR side trim/toons. Just picked up 6/30. Started immediately. Now have 20hrs on boat.

Only boat on the lake that looks like this. Marina where purchased said they sent these pics to Bennington for review 1 week ago and would be in touch. My boat cant be the only one coming out of the factory and looking like this within a few hours. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210710_133119.jpg
    20210710_133119.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210710_133229.jpg
    20210710_133229.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 78
Dang. I haven’t seen that before. Those side skirts are anodized and should look new for years. Unprotected toons will tarnish over time but that looks off to me. Check with the dealer.

Wow. NEVER seen that before. Definitely one of a kind. Warranty claim after the summer!

Hats off to your dealer for quickly stepping up and sending Bennington pics of your toons. Looks like a bad batch of aluminum or it's reacting with something in the water. Or something's up with the marine plywood underneath and it's running down on the aluminum somehow. Have you checked underneath? Is there any staining on the center toon as well? Curious if you had Sharkhide applied at the factory? Let us know what Bennington says about this....

I have the same thoughts as everyone else above. Wow!

Last edited:
Hats off to your dealer for quickly stepping up and sending Bennington pics of your toons. Looks like a bad batch of aluminum or it's reacting with something in the water. Or something's up with the marine plywood underneath and it's running down on the aluminum somehow. Have you checked underneath? Is there any staining on the center toon as well? Curious if you had Sharkhide applied at the factory? Let us know what Bennington says about this....
It’s a SVSR model so I don’t think a center toon or shark hide are options/issues.
The way the stains are, it sure looks like something is staining when leaked down the side, so I like your theory on the plywood.

In the end, nice thing is it doesn’t matter if it’s a Q or a Saver model, warranty should fix this.

I would add that there are fastener shortages in the roofing industry right now (it's delaying commercial projects of mine), so that could mean there are widespread shortages in all industries. Possible that Bennington switched to another fastener/screw that is not stainless and corroding and leaching down?

Get underneath the deck and take a quick look or snap some pictures, should be easy to find the source.

I think it could be fastener related as well. Looks like non stainless bolts could be "rusting" and staining things below. The reason I put rusting in quotes is that aluminum and most other metals don't like each other and could cause one or the other to corrode, but it could be the plywood as well causing the staining.

Strange that the side trim is stained and not the toon. There is toon discolouration but no browning.

If the same toon aluminium was used on the trim then there may not be a problem.

Wow, that sure looks like stain from either plywood or fasteners for sure. I hope Bennington makes good on them. My toons are from 2011 and even before I "cleaned them" for this summer, this is the worse they have ever looked. Just a dark faded graphite look. Never a stain like you have

Attachments

• 2011 RCW prior to Summer launch but cleaned.jpg
    2011 RCW prior to Summer launch but cleaned.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 2011 RCW prior to Summer launch.jpg
    2011 RCW prior to Summer launch.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 39
Back