21 SXSR - Worth upgrading to Yamaha 90 SHO with SS prop

hgbenn

Reaction score
I'm new to pontoons and an "almost" owner of a 21 SXSR. 85% of my cruising will be a low speeds. 10% getting from point A to point B relatively fast (though probably not WOT) with a light load. And 5% towing a tube.

I have to decide whether to spend an extra $900 for the Yamaha 90 Vmax SHO over the standard 90. The Vmax comes with a stainless steel prop; I believe a 4 blade. I don't know the pitch yet. It seems the benefits might be:
  1. Durability of stainless steel prop
  2. Very slightly higher top speed
  3. A bit better acceleration
  4. Slightly better maneuverability (due to the 4 blade prop)
  5. Perhaps a bit better or easier resale if we end up doing that in a few years (but unlikely we will)
Of course, I can add a SS prop for far less than the $900 addl for the VMax.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth putting a SS prop on a pontoon if the motor is less than 150HP. At 150Hp and up, the aluminum props flex, and lose grip. SS holds. But under 150, and the aluminum shouldn’t flex, and therefore it should fold grip. An aluminum will be a lighter prop for a 90Hp to spin as well. And finally, if you nick up an aluminum prop, it’s more likley to ding up badly and not transfer force to your motors lower unit. A SS prop is more durable, but consequently runs the risk of transferring force to your lower unit if you hit a solid object.

Anyhow, I think it’s worth considering an aluminum with a 90, regardless of which of the two 90’s you go with. The Vmax cowls are nicer, and it should give a litter better performance than a regular 90. I think it might be more noticeable in hole shot.

That said, I am not as familiar with the Yamaha’s or the aluminum props as others might be. For the 85% of the time you are cruising, it wont matter which motor you get. Something to consider. For that other 15%, every little bit might help. I guess you just have to consider if that 15% over its lifetime is worth the extra $900.

Back