'22 20LLG SPS - Analog Fuel Gauge and Trim Gauge

Fairway

Reaction score
Its been a while and I posted on this before but it seemed to get caught up in Simrad fuel readings or something like that. Anyway I dont have Simrad just what I call an analog fuel gauge that is inaccurate. As in the previous post I called the dealer shortly after I go the boat in the water about the issue (and trim gauge inaccurate). They are about 3hrs away and I asked if they could send a tech and they refused to.
Anyway - I replaced the the float gauge in my previous '12 Premier pontoon and just wondering if this would be similar in adjustment?
Anyone know where is the fuel gauge on a '22 20LLG?

I also have inaccurate trim gauge. When trim is all the way down it shows 1/4 up. Anyone ever adjusted their trim gauge and/or know where tha might be some info on it?
Thanks!

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Your question and symptom description is insufficient to generate a definitive response. What I can do is pass on what little I know about these 2 gauges. Both the fuel level and motor trim sensors are variable resistors. Both fuel and trim gages are basically just ohm meters. Both of the sensors can be mechanically adjusted. The fuel level sensor can be accessed thru the access cove in the floor above the tank. The trim level sensor is located near the motor tilt pivot. Tilt the motor all the way up to access the sensor. Use a flash light to see in that dark spot.

Your question and symptom description is insufficient to generate a definitive response. What I can do is pass on what little I know about these 2 gauges. Both the fuel level and motor trim sensors are variable resistors. Both fuel and trim gages are basically just ohm meters. Both of the sensors can be mechanically adjusted. The fuel level sensor can be accessed thru the access cove in the floor above the tank. The trim level sensor is located near the motor tilt pivot. Tilt the motor all the way up to access the sensor. Use a flash light to see in that dark spot.
When the fuel tank is full the fuel gauge shows 3/4.
On my previous boat the sending unit was bad and replaced it with an after market. I had to trim it for the depth of the tank. It was the "swingarm" style. I didnt know if Bennington used that style or the shaft with a vertical float. I guess it doesnt matter. I found the sending unit while cleaning the boat today. I will pull it tomorrow and check the ohms and assume the float needs to be adjusted (or maybe its stuck) and/or figure out the mechanical adjustment you mention..

When the tilt is all of the way down the trim shows 1/4. Ive never adjusted trim sensor before. I'll take a look where you mention.
Thanks.

Attachments

• bennington fuel sending unit.jpeg
    bennington fuel sending unit.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 7
As a fall back, if anything remains unresolved, your ‘22 only 2 years into its 10 year warranty. So if necessary, I would think these might be warranty issues as well.

As a fall back, if anything remains unresolved, your ‘22 only 2 years into its 10 year warranty. So if necessary, I would think these might be warranty issues as well.
Im not sure whats covered under the 10 year warranty but even so the closest dealer is 2 hrs away.

Although there is ~6" porthole to access the KUS SSL-21 sending unit, the wire lead from the helm is too short and I cant access the plug that connects the helm lead to the sending unit. The plug is about 6" outboard of the access hole perimeter and I cannot get two hands in there to unplug it.
Its a shame there is such a big access hole yet the factory didnt make the helm lead without adequate service loop so the connector plug can be positioned to center of the hole and easily be disconnected.
Im not sure what if any adjustment could be done even if I could pull the sending unit out.

Attachments

• sending unit connector.jpg
    sending unit connector.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
Im not sure whats covered under the 10 year warranty but even so the closest dealer is 2 hrs away.
EVERYTHING Bow to Stern from manufacturer defect or premature failure in that 10 year time period separate from exclusions such as not following care instructions, misuse, owner damage, accident, Mother Nature, etc… It’s one of the more robust warranties on the market IF it comes to that.

I can appreciate not wanting to drive 2 hours…4 hours round trip. Worth factoring in sometimes is how much personal time is spent trouble-shooting or DIY’ing an issue IF it would otherwise be a warranty issue too. But yeah, 2 hours one way is not motivating for something like this. I get it.

I have questions about the accuracy of my trim and fuel gauges too. Looks like the RPM works. Waiting to get to 20 hours so I can bring in for the 1st maintenance Check. I wish I had a speedometer gauge but it wasn’t an option.

I have questions about the accuracy of my trim and fuel gauges too. Looks like the RPM works. Waiting to get to 20 hours so I can bring in for the 1st maintenance Check. I wish I had a speedometer gauge but it wasn’t an option.
Im sure your dealer can fix that for you when you bring it in. (My dealer is too far and i cant justify hauling it in for that).
I dont have a speedometer wither - just using GPS to check speed.

Back