22SSX w/Twin Ellipticals - Approximate Top Speed?

HiPeRcO

Reaction score
Hi there, new member here and may be about to join the owners club. Looking seriously at a used 2016 22SSX with the TWIN ELIPTICAL PERFORMANCE PACKAGE and a Merc 115 w/command thrust and a 11" 15P aluminum prop. What kind of top speed should this boat see? The seller claims a top speed of only around 20mph, which seems surprisingly low to me if his statement is accurate. Comments welcome!

Does it have lifting strakes?? If so the speed seems light, if not even with ellipticals it’s still a displacement hull.

Hi there, new member here and may be about to join the owners club. Looking seriously at a used 2016 22SSX with the TWIN ELIPTICAL PERFORMANCE PACKAGE and a Merc 115 w/command thrust and a 11" 15P aluminum prop. What kind of top speed should this boat see? The seller claims a top speed of only around 20mph, which seems surprisingly low to me if his statement is accurate. Comments welcome!

That is very low. I was test driving tritoon’s with 115hp’s two years ago and in the low 30’s. That just dosn’t sound right Granted EPP package is different than triple toons, but it should be slightly faster straight line, so I’d expect maybe something like low 30’s to mid-30’s IF a light load on the boat.

Thanks for the replies! It has lifting stakes, I didn't realize that the ellipticals can be had without strakes. Tomorrow morning is the test drive, we shall see.

I believe straight line speed should be higher, turns at speed not so good. If you intend to use for tubing etc. it may not be your best choice.

My "regular" twin tube with a 50 makes 16-17 MPH with both bimini's open.

you should be in the low 30's with that set up. I've got the 2275 RCW with twin elips strakes / waveshield and 150 Pro XS and run 40. Maybe he wasn't using Trim properly, logs are dirty, wrong prop, etc.. My guess is the prop is wrong. Pitch is good at 15, but with a diameter of 11, that's really small. You probably have lots of slipping going on. You want something in the 14 to 15" diameter minimum for a pontoon boat.
Does the boat have GPS or is he going on Speedo results?
Keep us posted
Todd

I know I am late to this party and you may already have found the answer but in Bennington's own testing a 2275 with a 115 Yamaha and your Elliptical performance package did 34.5 in their own testing. This test can be found on line.

In re-looking at a Yamaha Performance Bulletin on a Bennington 21 SLX the 115 topped out at 35 at 6,000 but ran only 27.9 at 5,000 so I would say you are right in the ballpark and maybe a tad faster than most with that set up.
As long as the engine will turn close to 6,000 a WOT than I would not worry about anything.
Speed decreases fast when weight is added...

When you look at these performance reports the boats are run light so it is doubtful that you will ever exceed their speeds unless it is just you and everything but a battery, 1/2 fuel and life jackets is removed from the boat. Again, if you are honestly getting 25 mph at 5,000 with 5 folks then you are doing well....

A bit off topic but going over the issues here and it seems strange that the former owner limited RPM to 5,000.
You might watch for the engine burning oil as without running it in the upper RPM ranges the rings may not have seeded as they should. That is why it is recommended to take it up higher in RPM after the initial 10 hours or that is what Yamaha recommends and wouldn't think it would change a great deal as ring seeding is needed in all engines.
Interested to hear what the outcome is.

My neighbor has a 2016 Bennington Premier 22 (not positive on the model but it is a premier)SSBX? Anyways he has normal 2 toons and a 115 Mercury Pro with lifting strakes. I drove it and with a GPS we were at 37mph with 3 adults (about 180 pounds average) on calm water. He did say that he has a boat prop versus your standard pontoon prop (not sure what this means)Hope this helps!

I just bought a 2018 R23 swing back with a 200hp Yamaha V-MAX SHO motor, twin 32 ellipticals with lifting strakes, wave shield, and something else..lol..I am hoping to get 40-45 with it. I will let you know come spring!

Last edited:
Back