23’ RCWSD with 300 Yamaha - which prop and what hole mount

drjbeyer

Reaction score
So I am taking delivery of my 2021in two weeks and was talking to my dealer today and I asked about the height of the motor mount and also which prop he recommended.

He replied that they typically mount on the lowest hole (motor is deepest) to prevent “blowout” on sharp turns and to go with a 15 prop. He said we could always adjust the height and prop if wasn’t happy but I was curious as to any members thoughts and opinions on this setup and why.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

I would think for sure the 15 1/2 x 17 , it's what I had on my 250, my 200 had a 15

I think he may be correct with starting at a 15 pitch, as long as he is willing to swap it out. Maybe ask him if he is able to give you a few to dial it in with and return. 15 would be in my opinion the ideal starting point but you may be able to move to a higher pitch possibly too.

15p doesn’t seem right for a 300HP. I have a 15p Enertia on my 200hp, and a 14-15p Enertia prop dials me in with my 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. There has to be a fair amount of members in here with 300HP Yamaha’s on their R-series with the ESP hull. Do some searches in his forum for props and performance. Lots of shared information over time on this topic.

Also, lets see if some that have similar boats and motors to yours chime in here. I’d probably start at a 15.5x16-17 like Derrick mentioned above, but not sure which “type” of prop would be best on your setup.

My 2019 23RCWA has a SWII 15 1/2 x 17. Max rpm with a 300 Yamaha is 5800 - 5900 , it’s mounted in the lowest hole. With a light load it will run 48-49 mph. I would not change a thing. A 16 Pitch prop might get you a few more rpm’s, not sure about speed. Andy

I would advise trying several configurations of both prop and mounting height - your particular boat may respond differently to the suggestions of others so the only way to truly know is to trial and error.

But I will offer as others have that my F250 with Q3/Enertia 17p can get to 5800-5900 rpm (51mph) lightly loaded, so a 15p on your setup leans toward max hole shot for a full load and towing tubes. Your 300 should be able to handle more pitch if top speed is the objective, maybe even up to an 18. 16/17 is probably where you’ll end up depending on the prop model.

Also my 250 squats the stern on my 23’ so I was able to raise the motor to #3 without issue and picked up quite a bit of fuel efficiency and a little speed. I only blow out if I’m trimmed way up, start making aggressive turns and there is weight (people) up in the bow. Trim down and I’m fine. I’m guessing you’ll be in the same boat and could play with height.

Congrats!

With a 300, maybe start with the SDS Saltwater II 15.5 x 16, part number is 6CE-45938-20-00.

If you experience lower RPM at WOT, then take advantage of your dealer's offer by swapping out to a 15 pitch...and vice versa if RPM is too high at WOT.

Last edited:
Back