23 SSBXP double bimini install dimensions?

george248

Reaction score
I have a 2021 23 SSBXP that I purchased new off the showroom floor with the standard rear Bimini. I ordered all of the parts to install a double Bimini from my dealer and will pick up the parts today. Unfortunately, to install the double Bimini is not so simple as adding the front frame and new front and rear canvass. Bennington advised I would have to switch over to the curved frame set up, which significantly increased the cost of making the swap. Anyway, I live in the SE and the summers here are downright brutal, so it will be worth it in the end for the kids and grands to have some additional sun protection.

Installing the rear frame will be a breeze, as Bennington has advised the curved frame will fit in the existing rear brackets. I will have to install the (4) new brackets for the front frame. Bennington did not provide any dimensions/measurements for locating these brackets. I know it is a long shot, but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has the same boat and could provide measurements. I tried to email Bennington with a tech question, but their website does not provide any direct email contacts, and seems to route your questions through a dealer https://www.benningtonmarine.com/en-us/bennington-inquiry/

Does anyone have an email address for Bennington tech questions?

I know someone will probably say, just let the dealer install it. I am a lifelong "do it yourself-er" and prefer to service and maintain all of my vehicles myself. It is something I enjoy and from my previous experiences, no one takes the time and pay attention to detail when working on someone else's property, like I would. This is a pretty simple job and I also do not want to deal with the 2hr round trip drive, towing, to drop my boat off for a week or two, then have to make another 2hr roundtrip for a simple job like this.

Thanks in advance for any dimensions or email contact info.

George

Here is the phone number from the warranty page . (888) 906-2628.

Thanks for the number, will try to call this week and see what info they can provide. I installed the new rear curved Bimini yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. There were no dimension provided for locating the front brackets and when I asked the parts guy at the dealer I was a little shocked to hear that they have only installed a couple front Biminis over the years and no one orders them. Not one boat on the floor had a double Bimini. I guess folks here in the South love their sun...LOL They told me that with the few install they have done, they basically just get a couple guys to hold the front frame in place and "eye ball" where they think the brackets should go. I would think that Bennington does not do it this way at the factory and someone there has the dimensions.... will call and see...

The only surprise with install the rear curved was the two included black straps. I figured out that they go between the front and rear frame "bows" to the (2) center "bows" to pull the canvass taut. Prior to installing the straps, I could not adjust the frame enough to pull the canvass taut and it just looked sloppy. It looks much better now, but honestly, the previous standard frame and canvass looked better. I am hoping that once I have the front installed, everything will look nicer.

One issue that I have run into is there are no receiving snaps on the frame to snap the corner straps to. My old Bimini had the snap/straps only at the rear, but the curved Bimini has the snaps/straps at all four corners. I will have to get with the dealer and order the (4) snaps and drill holes and rivet them in place on the frame. I would have thought that the snaps would be already installed on the frame? Just a little odd. Hopefully I get them in the right location as well.

We added a front Bimini to the existing rear Bimini on a new boat. I thought about doing it myself (for about 2 seconds) but the dealer installed it and modified the rear Bimini to zip up with the front one. Do you have pics of the straps you are talking about to pull the canvas taut? I'm looking for pics of the ratcheting straps I installed in the front to pull it taut. Works great!

Here are a couple pics of the straps. No idea if they are installed correctly, as I have no install instructions or other boats to use for a reference. The canvass has distinct “cut-outs” for the straps, so I feel like they are installed correctly. If anyone with a curved double Bimini can confirm or point me in the right direction, would be much appreciated.

I will also include a couple photos of the straps that need corresponding snaps added to the frame.7CC90623-3514-47DE-8D08-B24C4800C691.jpeg106D5E70-7C38-40D4-A9EF-4193A19B7565.jpeg4E9554BA-2F57-45D2-BA29-CDD417200DDD.jpegAD58EDE9-D96C-4D6D-90FC-211B593FB8B7.jpeg83D7F764-EC54-4ADD-BE22-C88FF3C6204E.jpeg8D6743F2-826D-4324-9AAD-0F0519F20BB3.jpeg

I reached out to Bennington and the rep came through today with this diagram! I think I will put some blue painters tape on the top rail and mark the locations for the brackets, then get some help from a couple friends to hold the front Bimini in place and mock everything up to check that the measurements look good.

Before I drill holes, want to make absolutely sure everything looks right. Hopefully this diagram will help someone else in the future.70B6A8CF-2AF5-4B97-B8C5-DCEC55D8FE6A.png

I don't have the same boat, but did just do this front bimini install on my boat over the summer. I am with you on the issues of having others work on your stuff. And I am so glad I didn't have the dealer install this.

Even if someone did have the same boat, your measurements still may be different, because when they install the rear bimini, it may not necessarily be in the exact same location. But of course, if they used your drawing and your rear arms are in the same spots, the measurements should be the same.

Mine came with cable pins for each bracket. The dealer would have drilled holes for all four, which aren't necessary. I use Voile straps to hold all the brackets, which hold nicely and eliminate the rattle of the pins.

As for the install, it wasn't too difficult. It was much easier having three people. So two of us could clamp on the brackets and the third person could stand back and see how it looked. Needed to be sure all the arms were in the same plane and that the canvas looked right. We also had to adjust the rear bimini because it had more of a rounded look than I wanted, so that took some adjusting to get the rear right, and then get the front tight enough, but not too tight. We didn't do any drilling until we were absolutely sure everything was in place correctly.

I also ordered all brand new canvas, front and rear, but used the original rear frame. Basically, we initially installed the whole new frame and canvas without doing any drilling. The clamps held the brackets fine. And my dealer gave some good hints and was very helpful, basically that it is not rocket science, and it can be installed by an owner. They even tossed in some extra hardware in case it was needed.

Mine came with the bottom snap pieces and corresponding bolts for those nylon straps. Those also took some finess to install. Again, don't want them too tight or too loose. We made them as snug as possible, in case the nylon stretched out. It was a matter of marking where we wanted them, drilling the small hole for the self tapping bolt, and installing the snap.

My old rear bimini top had those center bow straps, but the new one didn't come with them, and the new bimini tops did not come with holes for them. It's much easier to adjust the new full bimini without those straps. And I remove both canvas bimini tops for every trip. I don't want to deal with towing the boat and trying to cover them. The old boot and canvas were pretty shredded from trailering with it on. It only takes about fifteen minutes to install them, and about five minutes to remove. And I usually tow at least 300 miles, so it's not a short trip.

Did you get your mooring cover modified to be able to use it with the new bimini? That's something I still need to get done. I think the dealer was going to charge about $500 to install the front bimini and $200 to modify the cover. I'm glad I did it myself, and will get the cover modified locally. My dealer is also about two hours away, with good traffic.

Thanks for the detailed post about your install. I agree that this is not too difficult of a job for an owner who is mechanically inclined. I could go into more detail about why I have more confidence in my handy work than the dealer's, but I do not think it is tasteful or appropriate to speak on that topic in a forum like this.

I will also have to find a local canvass shop or even a good upholstery shop to modify my existing mooring cover for the front Bimini. The cost for a new playpen cover from Bennington is $1,904! That is not a typo. The cost of the entire curved front and rear Bimini with LED lights in rear frame, front and rear canvass and boots is over $5,000. My dealer graciously gave me a 20% discount for ordering all the parts at once, considering I purchased the boat from them new... but, even with the discount it was well over $4k and nearly $5,000 with tax. Install cost was quoted as ballpark $650.

These boats are not cheap.... Bust Out Another Thousand... LOL!

Back