24SSLX and Yamaha F150 Trailering with transom saver??

Catman

Reaction score
I am new to the forum but I have a question about trailering our new pontoon boat.  We have a 24SSLX with a Yamaha F150 four stroke engine.  For a trailer I have a Yacht Club PTB2445 with tri toon bunk.  I do not see anywhere information on trailering and wether or not a motor support or transom saver should be used or not.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  We will not be doing extensive trailering at long distances.  At least for right now.

Thanks,

A few forum members use the transom savers and I'm sure they'll chime in........I also have a Yacht Club trailer and fortunately my boat sits high enough off the ground to be able to have the outdrive be trailered either in the up or down position. But being a former bow rider owner we automatically raise the out drive so the skeg doesn't make contact w/the ground when floating the boat back onto the trailer. (Old habit) When we put the boat back in the storage yard we lower the out drive so the water can easily drain out........

I have the same boat and motor.  My dealer, who is quite a large volume dealer, was emphatic about not using a transom saver.  He said to put the motor where it rests on the rods using the tilt and drive like that.  He said the transom saver put undue stress on the system.

I previously thought a lot about this until the following question came mind: Would Bennington build a transom that needed one? Faith in the manufacturer, and a plethora of stories that they can do more harm than good, put me in the camp of not using one. But I don't really have experience to know one way or the other. Just an FYI on how I came to my decision on this. I could easily be wrong. Hope I never find out.

We have a 24sli, 115hp Merc and the same Yacht Club trailer. We don't use one...

Let me add that I have plenty of clearance to pull the trailer with the motor in the fully down position. If the skeg was too close to the ground and the motor needed to be up, I would maybe reconside my thinking in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion, on pontoons it serves more as a hydraulic power steering saver. The transom on a pontoon is a tad bit sturdier than a bass boat.

Good point.

With all that has been said about motor supports  and the bounce of boat, motor and trailer, does anyone use hold down straps to keep boat and trailer as one unit? If you do, that has to take a lot of stress off the transom. The boat has a more cushion ride as it stays on the trailer getting full use of the spring ride vs. the boat without straps taking a bump and leaving the trailer only to come down hard and stressing the transom. I don't use the straps when I go to the local lake put to ride for 11/2 hours to a larger lake for the day I always strap down. By the way it a devil to try and launch a boat if you forget the straps Just won't push off.

I always strap her down, no matter how long the ride. That way I know she'll stay where I put her! Yes we are talking about boat and trailer.

And no I don't use a transom saver. My boat sits high enough that I have never had an issue backing into my driveway or pulling out at the launch. I always keep it all the way down in the vertical position. 

since I have the 20.5 x 8 x10 tires, I use the " my wedge " device on the lift tubes on the engine when trailering, then remove them when in storage and return to the verticle position as suggested by HONDA.

and oh yes, as derrick suggest, I ALWAYS strap her down on the transom for transport !

We strap down as well. Dealer said it wasn't necessary but I think it's cheap insurance.

Strap it down ?  DEFINATELY. I origianly did not strap my Cobalt 220 w/Big Block in it down. It almost bounced up on the fender on day when I cut a corner a bit short and I became a believer in tying it down. I also know of a guy who didn't have ass end tied down, accidently swerved into one of those concrete pillars in a construction zone. Would have only scratched up a fender but the boat bounced up against the pillar and  his lake trip was no more.

Transom Saver? Typically designed to stop the flex the motor put on the transom expecially in the raised position on fiberglass boats. Secondary was to take the shock impulses off the Trim/Tilt hydraulic system and a safeguard to keep the skag off the pavement if you ever broke a hydraulic line. 

If  I can trailer with my motor down with no fear of hitting the pavement, I won't use one.

Back