32" elliptical pontons performance

newboater

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has opinions on the performance of the two 32" elliptical pontoon upgrade. I ordered a 2275 GCW and upgraded to the 32" ellipticals. I read the other topic in regards to the elliptical being faster then the ESP in a staight line but how drastic is the handling difference. There are a couple of you out there that have the elliptical upgrade. Have you ever owned a tri-toon and could tell me the handling difference. I have never owned a pontooon and probably will not change my order but all the material on the ESP and how well it handles is making me worried I made a poor choice.

I do not know about the ellipticals, but I will say I thought the ESP was probably about 1/2 hype, and 1/2 fact. In fact the ESP is awesome, it turns better than a boat and you can throw the kids out of the seats if you want. I had debated between a 25" round log toon or the ESP, and I am VERY glad I spent the extra. The ride is fantastic on onr rough lake too. I have read on here the ellipticals run faster in a straight line, but do not turn anything like the ESP boats. Hope that helps.

If you are second guessing your decision, you will never be satisfied unless you know. I can't tell you the differences as I have never been on the twin eliptical boats. I do, however, have the ESP package. I can tell you this boat handles like a dream. The 250 Verado has built-in hydraulic steering and it gives me fingertip control. This boat will handle and roll up in the turns just like the video shows.

My .02 is the ESP is the only way to go for performance.

Good luck,

andy

I have the 32 inch ellipitcals on my boat with the Yamaha F90. But I have never been on a boat with the ESP so I cannot provide much help in your comparison question. What I can say is that my boat/motor/prop performs exactly like the Yamaha performance bulletin says it should - I get 25mph without any problem or strain that I can sense. It certainly does not "bank" in turns however, plus if I spend an hour or two pulling my grandson on a tube, I have to use at least one hand to turn, not one finger ;)

I think if you can, the best thing would be to try to test drive both kind of setups; then honestly evaluate how you will really be using the boat and how much you want to pay for performance.

I guess it all came down to money for me. I had to decide where to make the price break. I could have gone with ESP and a 250, but decided that the 115 with elliptical tubes with lifting strakes was where I was at. Yes my toon will turn fairly quickly, but it does not bank, so your passengers really feel the pull. I do not like running down the lake with the boat leaning to one side which every tri toon I have been on does. I hate it so much I put trim tabs on my 23' bowrider so that I can adjust for passenger placement and keep the boat level...

I have the 2574 GCW with ESP and a 200 Yamaha SHO. I can tell you trading up from a Party Barge 21' to this boat is night and day. The ESP does turn very quickly, and in a straight line I am getting around 40 mph. I would go with ESP package again, and when I do a hard bank (kids like it), I do get a lot of looks on how it can turn on a dime.

Go with the ESP if your budget allows and you will have no regrets.

I guess it all came down to money for me. I had to decide where to make the price break. I could have gone with ESP and a 250, but decided that the 115 with elliptical tubes with lifting strakes was where I was at. Yes my toon will turn fairly quickly, but it does not bank, so your passengers really feel the pull. I do not like running down the lake with the boat leaning to one side which every tri toon I have been on does. I hate it so much I put trim tabs on my 23' bowrider so that I can adjust for passenger placement and keep the boat level...

Fyrfightr,

What kind of speed are you getting with the 115, elipticals with strakes? I have a 2250gcw with yamaha 115 and elliptical tubes, but no strakes. I am thinking if installing the strakes and was curious how much speed increase I would see. I can get 28mph with gps with two adults onboard.

Thanks

I have the elips with strakes and a 150 HO merc. I personnally love the set up but i have also never been on a esp equipped toon. Been on other tri toons and for the money and my needs, the twin elips were perfect. I run in the low 40's with a light load

Good luck

Todd

We are coming from a Bennington with regular tubes, not elipticals but we too were a bit skeptical about the difference in the ESP. We had seriously considered the elipticals with strakes and a 150hp. But after a test drive on a 2575RCW with a big motor we were SOLD! The ride and handling are just amazing! We ended up with a 2275GCW with ESP and a 200hp. If you plan to do water sports or will be "whipping" the boat around alot I'd recommend upgrading to the ESP, you will not be disappointed.

Fyrfightr,

What kind of speed are you getting with the 115, elipticals with strakes? I have a 2250gcw with yamaha 115 and elliptical tubes, but no strakes. I am thinking if installing the strakes and was curious how much speed increase I would see. I can get 28mph with gps with two adults onboard.

Thanks
We got 27.8 mph on the gps with 5 adults and 3 Lab mutts onboard.

Hey Fyrfightr. My 2275 FSi with ESP does not list. I think thats more of a problem with 2 loggers than three. That drives me crazy too and I also did the trim tab thing on my last boat.

As for comparing the 2 I haven't been on both so I can't really help.

Hey Fyrfightr. My 2275 FSi with ESP does not list. I think thats more of a problem with 2 loggers than three. That drives me crazy too and I also did the trim tab thing on my last boat.

As for comparing the 2 I haven't been on both so I can't really help.
I guess you could call it a list.. The boat will sit level when at rest. But when she climbs up on plane, the outer toons come farther out of the water than the center toon and the boat is trying to balance on the center toon. But because the boat is not perfectly balanced due to people picking their own seating location. The boat will lean to one side. This lean is usually to port as there is usually more seating on that side.

I haven't had that problem with my boat. If I did I would just make the fatties move there butts :lol: I do know what your'e talking about and it seems most small boat are subject to this problem unless they have tabs. Are you saying that the twin elipticals will not slant to port when overloaded to one side?

I guess you could call it a list.. The boat will sit level when at rest. But when she climbs up on plane, the outer toons come farther out of the water than the center toon and the boat is trying to balance on the center toon. But because the boat is not perfectly balanced due to people picking their own seating location. The boat will lean to one side. This lean is usually to port as there is usually more seating on that side.
"On my boat, all 3 "toons" are at the same level at the bottom, in other words if the boat was sitting flat on a parking lot, all 3 toons would be touching the ground. So when on plane, none would be any further out of the water either(steering straight ahead). 3 pontoons offering bouyancy would have to reduce a boats tendency to list.

I had 2009 other brand tri-toon with high performance toons and a 250 SS Suzuki. Needless to say, I traded it in for a Bennington with the center eliptical within a year. There is no comparing a Bennington versus a regular tri-toon. Think brick on water versus a sport boat. Actually, I traded in for the Bennington because it felt safer when making turns compared to the brick. Also, pulling skiers was a real chore with the brick compared to real easy with the Bennington.

Back