4 blade SS prop

JAMS

Reaction score
I have the 2022 21LL SPS package and the Yamaha F150. I was running the Yamaha 3 blade SS 14.5x15. WOT was 6000 rpm 1 person in the boat 41.4 MPH. With the advise from a prop dealer and mfg/repair for tugs etc, I just switched to a Powertech 4 blade SS 14.25x14 and oh man what a difference in performance. Went for ski after changing out, 3 people in the boat WOT 5700 - 5800 RPMs ! and 37.2 MPH. The pull was excellent, I'm 6'3" 220, hole shot was great, getting up on plane was very fast. Making the turn I left the RPMs the same and only slowed down from 32 to 27 so the power stays up. I can't say yet on the gas consumption but I can say 3 runs and the needle hardly moved. Getting back into my garage ( I live in a floating home on the Columbia River ) was easier with the cross current, more control with the stern. I will not be going back to a 3 blade, 4 blade is the way to go IMO.

I have the 2022 21LL SPS package and the Yamaha F150. I was running the Yamaha 3 blade SS 14.5x15. WOT was 6000 rpm 1 person in the boat 41.4 MPH. With the advise from a prop dealer and mfg/repair for tugs etc, I just switched to a Powertech 4 blade SS 14.25x14 and oh man what a difference in performance. Went for ski after changing out, 3 people in the boat WOT 5700 - 5800 RPMs ! and 37.2 MPH. The pull was excellent, I'm 6'3" 220, hole shot was great, getting up on plane was very fast. Making the turn I left the RPMs the same and only slowed down from 32 to 27 so the power stays up. I can't say yet on the gas consumption but I can say 3 runs and the needle hardly moved. Getting back into my garage ( I live in a floating home on the Columbia River ) was easier with the cross current, more control with the stern. I will not be going back to a 3 blade, 4 blade is the way to go IMO.
Thank you for sharing. I have yet to find a direct comparison but have concluded after a lot of reading that the 4-blade results in a loss of top end, improved hole shot, and better handling. Your post suggests all of these are true!

We used to run PowerTech OFS 4 blades on our Center console. As you stated, hole shot is great, cruising speed and MPG were better (at cruise) but you suffered a little bit at the top end. Glad you found something that works for you in your situation. :)

Back