4 Blade vs 3 Blade props?

Scott P

Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in anyone's experience with switching from a 3 blade to a 4 blade prop? I bought my boat this Spring and really enjoy the performance so far. I currently have a Yamaha Reliance Series prop  19P 14.25D on my Yamaha 250 VMAX. It has a powerful hole shot and does about 44-45 at 5900 RPM WOT. The only thing I do not like about it is the turning when tubing with the kids as it can lose "grip" in the water with sharp turns. I decided to buy a 4 blade as a second backup prop and to compare the stats. Purchased a Solas Triton 18P 14.25D and it should be here in a few days. Went down 1 Pitch as the Internet said this should be done to make up for the lost RPM's, otherwise I made an educated guess on what to buy.

I will post stats when I swap it out.

Looking forward to hearing your results

It'll be hit or miss on whether or not you like it. I had a merc high 5 on the fiberglass boat and would of never changed it. I've been thru 6 different props on this boat and ended up with a fat bladed 3 blade prop ( Evinrude rebel) couldn't hit it right with any 4 blade I tried?? Best of luck, can't ever hurt to try!!

Just wondering, were you trimmed down when you make a turn?  Most boats need to be trimmed down on a sharp turn when traveling at higher speeds.  You will gain some hole shot, but probably lose some good top end.

It'll be hit or miss on whether or not you like it. I had a merc high 5 on the fiberglass boat and would of never changed it. I've been thru 6 different props on this boat and ended up with a fat bladed 3 blade prop ( Evinrude rebel) couldn't hit it right with any 4 blade I tried?? Best of luck, can't ever hurt to try!!

Hey adk,i've been thinking about the Rebel on my 200HO. What pitch did you settle on with your motor?

15 pitch. Getting about 41mph at 5400RPM, third hole up. Thinking of dropping one hole. Had a 16 pitch viper, good top speed but horrible for everything else. Rebel was better for water sports and fuel economy. I would assume your ho would be able to take more pitch 3.3 to 2.8 motor. PM I have a couple props you could try if you want. 

Just wondering, were you trimmed down when you make a turn?  Most boats need to be trimmed down on a sharp turn when traveling at higher speeds.  You will gain some hole shot, but probably lose some good top end.

I normally trim down a bit if I'm going for a  sharp wide throttle turn or real sharp back to pick up the brave souls at my mercy on a tube!!  It's not too bad that I constantly notice it, but I do pay attention to it. When I'm just running down the lake between channels I don't trim back down at all.  This prop seems to hold well all around. I did notice that this boat is sensitive to the trim depending on the amount of people and where they are placed. 

Forgot, only loose 3-4mph on the high speed turns and it runs right back to 40 as I straighten out.

adkboater... I am running the Etec 250 and have the original prop (Rebel - Stainless - 15 3/8 x 18) I have really good top end (around 49 mph) and great torque. However, I am getting around 5400 rpm and everywhere I read and even BRP says I should be closer to 6000 rpm. I was going to try some different props but it seems you have already done some of the leg work. What are you currently running and how do you like it? I am also at the 2nd hole and thought about raising the motor one more. Thoughts??

adkboater... I am running the Etec 250 and have the original prop (Rebel - Stainless - 15 3/8 x 18) I have really good top end (around 49 mph) and great torque. However, I am getting around 5400 rpm and everywhere I read and even BRP says I should be closer to 6000 rpm. I was going to try some different props but it seems you have already done some of the leg work. What are you currently running and how do you like it? I am also at the 2nd hole and thought about raising the motor one more. Thoughts??

You should try an 18p Enertia which is only 14.5" diameter. I think it'll bring your rpms up and your top end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes I always trim down when pulling kids on tubes and turning sharp.

Tested the new 

Hello,

I am interested in anyone's experience with switching from a 3 blade to a 4 blade prop? I bought my boat this Spring and really enjoy the performance so far. I currently have a Yamaha Reliance Series prop  19P 14.25D on my Yamaha 250 VMAX. It has a powerful hole shot and does about 44-45 at 5900 RPM WOT. The only thing I do not like about it is the turning when tubing with the kids as it can lose "grip" in the water with sharp turns. I decided to buy a 4 blade as a second backup prop and to compare the stats. Purchased a Solas Triton 18P 14.25D and it should be here in a few days. Went down 1 Pitch as the Internet said this should be done to make up for the lost RPM's, otherwise I made an educated guess on what to buy.

I will post stats when I swap it out.

Tested the new 4 blade prop. Overall I would say it was a success. Same top speed of 44-45. RPM's dropped to 5400 at WOT. Better acceleration and turns a little better. 

Seems to vibrate a little more though. I did grease the prop shaft first. Not sure the reason for this.

If you're running the new G2 I would go for the RX 4. I tried a 16 pitch and it was an awesome prop, just didn't have enough motor for it, I just have an etec200 not an ho. 

I am running the new G2 250. I will look into the RX4. Thanks for the input.

Tested the new 

Tested the new 4 blade prop. Overall I would say it was a success. Same top speed of 44-45. RPM's dropped to 5400 at WOT. Better acceleration and turns a little better. 

Seems to vibrate a little more though. I did grease the prop shaft first. Not sure the reason for this.

Not sure what the rpm range for your engine is, but not sure I would want to be at 5400 WOT.  If the boat was loaded with people and gear then that would be ok.  If not, you could under turn your engine when boat is loaded which is not good for it.

Back