Add Bluetooth music streaming to your marine radio

Fasttr

Reaction score
If you're like me you don't want to plug your smart phone into your marine radio since it provides a means for water to potentially splash on your phone. I like to keep my phone protected in a water-tight device just in case. I'm not sure why bluetooth enabled radios aren't standard in watercraft just for this reason. (Team Bennington take note...)

Anyway, I had used this device before in my automobile so I knew that it worked well. I installed one in my boat this weekend at it also works great. You need two pieces to keep everything dry. The bluetooth gateway is a very small box that connects to the aux-in of your radio and it uses a mini-usb plug for power. I also use a direct connect usb power supply and hook it into the radio auxiliary power lead so that it powers up the bluetooth gateway when the aux switch is on. Both items are mounted inside the console and tie-wrapped around the radio area keeping them dry. The 3.5mm cable snakes up and around the front of the radio from under the console so that it can be left plugged in with the radio cover closed. I used a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable with a right angle connector on the end that attaches to the front face of the radio. If your radio has rear aux inputs then you don't even need to get to the front face. Once paired with your phone, ipod, etc. it will automatically reconnect each time when it powers back up. Then just select aux-in on the radio and start playing your music (or music videos). This works with iPhones, iPads and virtually any device that supports A2DP music streaming protocols.

Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway

12V Direct Wire USB Power supply

Back