additional fuel tanks - 24-SSL

tcpip95

Reaction score
I'm looking to do some extended range cruising with a new boat, and would like to add some under-the-seat storage of additional fuel tanks. I understand I can add the ESP package w/centerline fuel tank for about $6,000 but that's too expensive. Has anyone added "out-of-sight" fuel storage and if so, how did you do it? Have not ordered the boat yet so all options are still on the table. Thanks.

JP

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak to how this might fit with your local laws and regulations. You'll have to check for yourself.

Having said that, places like Summit Racing and Jegs sell fuel cells that are intended for use in both street and race cars. Some of them look EXACTLY like the plastic fuel cell you already have in your boat. You can get them with or without baffles and you can even get them with safety foam. (In the event of an accident that causes a fire, the cell will burn like a gasoline soaked sponge; as opposed to explode like a bomb)

You'd need to do your own measuring to see where you could fit one in. And don't forget that you'll need to mount a set of metal straps to hold the cell.

Then you'll need to decide how to fill it. Probably the simplest thing is to buy a tank with a filler opening and an in-tank electric pump to move the fuel from the aux to the main tank. If you want to get really ambitious, you could plumb up TWO electric fuel pumps, one in each direction, so that you could move fuel from one tank to the other at will.

Don't forget to take air pressure into account. When you pump fuel into a tank you have to give the air inside a way to escape and vice versa.

I'm looking to do some extended range cruising with a new boat, and would like to add some under-the-seat storage of additional fuel tanks. I understand I can add the ESP package w/centerline fuel tank for about $6,000 but that's too expensive. Has anyone added "out-of-sight" fuel storage and if so, how did you do it? Have not ordered the boat yet so all options are still on the table. Thanks.

JP
How much range are you needing? My 2275 RCW came with a 56 gallon(at least I think it is 56) tank. Should be enough to cruise all day plus some more. I have had the boat out three times and only burned 1/2 tank. Of course, I float and enjoy life some of the day and not cruising all day.

Good luck in your tank hunting.

How much range are you needing? My 2275 RCW came with a 56 gallon(at least I think it is 56) tank. Should be enough to cruise all day plus some more. I have had the boat out three times and only burned 1/2 tank. Of course, I float and enjoy life some of the day and not cruising all day.

The 22 SSL has a 24 gallon tank. I'd like to be able to run from Punta Gorda, Fl down to the Keys (Marathon). Estimates that I received from the dealer (who got them directly from Bennington) were 3.2 GPH at 25 mph to 10.4 gph at 36 MPH (w/32" ellipticals & Yamaha 115 hp). I'd like to put in an extra 24 gallons of gas if possible. The run from Everglades City to Marathon is about 75 miles and would want to have a lot of fuel with me just in case. Not the end of the world if I had to simply carry a couple of cans, but I'd really like to have them permanently installed and tied into main tank.

JP

OK I see now. Good luck in your search. I would figure there has to be an aftermarket out there somewhere to fit your bill. If not now, soon.

I looked at my tank and I think it is stamped as a 59 gallon fuel cell.But specs do say 56 gallon. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back