anchor rope

I certainly would think that you can reuse your old rope if it appears to be in good condition.

Okay speaking of anchor rope..........How many feet of anchor rope do you keep on your boat?!?

I’m not sure about a box anchor, although I’ve heard they require less line to hold. For non-box anchors it all depends on depth of water where you will be anchoring your boat. I’ve gone by the general rule of thumb: Three times depth for calm water. Five times depth for rough water. You need enough scope out there otherwise the anchor doesn’t hold

That post at amazon is over 3 weeks old ,they change sellers often . Lowest price now is $135
that one doesnt seem to have any size options. i know the slide anchor is a good one and i need the small size. any one know anything about this other one listed? seems awful large

100 feet also. I want to put in on some kinda reel to make storage easier. What are you using?

Although cheaper, it is also only zinc plated (the OP's was galvanized). Anyone have any experience with how these hold up to corrosion resistance over time?
Its not the same anchor or seller as originally posted .

that one doesnt seem to have any size options. i know the slide anchor is a good one and i need the small size. any one know anything about this other one listed? seems awful large
Wow, 19lbs! That's going to build up your arm and neck muscles reeling that in. I use a Fortress FX-7 which weighs 4lbs. but holds like a bugger on my GCW 2574.

I have two questions for everyone.

1. I’m wanting to get a box anchor for my 26 LXL with ESP. How heavy of one do I need? Anchor company has a 21 and 26 pound ones and said I need the large one. I don’t fish so mostly just dropping anchor to swim in calmer water. What weight should I be looking at? I would like this to be my main anchor for everything and I will probably get something smaller for near shore or on the sandbar.

2. As far as anchor line I’ve seen recommendations of 5:1 or 7:1 for length vs depth. I figured I should probably have 150 if I want to anchor in open water but for using it in shallow water should I have a shorter length and swap them or just let less out? Do you spool them up with something or just throw everything in the seat? I don’t want to be fighting with 100 ft of rope on the boat if only 30-50 ft is in the water.

Any suggestions would be great as I’m new and want to make sure I got everything covered. Thanks!

I have 2, a small and a baby . The small is enough to hold my 23 QCW and my previous 23 RCW .
I use the baby in the stern to stop the sway on windy days

Here is a link to the original box anchor .

That’s what I was looking at. I was actually looking at the powder coated anchors through them but they only carry a small and a large. When I called they recommended I would need a large. 26 pounds sounds like overkill so I wanted to check with you guys who have lots of experience and knowledge. If I used a small which I believe is 21 pound anchor that would hold in all situations? I will most likely be using a second anchor off the front to keep it from rotating.

Well,
WE have two anchors. One for the front and one for the rear. The front one is a Danforth and has approximately 75' of 1/2" Gold Stripe double braided Nylon and the rear is a Box Anchor with 85' of the same Gold Stripe line. The Gold Stripe is sold at West Marine. We have, and in many cases, use BOTH anchors due to the fact that we often anchor in a cove with no beach here in Lake Havasu AZ. And with one anchor, the boat can easily spin around, based on even the slightest wind. So, I toss out one from the front, let it seat some. Then, we toss out the rear box anchor and float forward a tad. Tighten both up and now, we're stable and the boat can't go anywhere.

Yeah, it takes about 3-4 minutes to do things this way but, having the boat stable and not able to drift, is piece of mind, especially if we're near some rocky cliffs etc. We can jump off any side or end of the boat and the thrust from jumping off, will not effect the boats position, it stays exactly where I've locked it in.

Now, as many of you may or may not have experienced, that anchor line, especially if you haver around 85' - 100' or so, can get tangled and knotted somewhat easily. I thought about a winder (reel) of some sort but, I don't want that kind of stuff hanging on the outside or inside etc. So, I reverted to my old fire department days and how we packaged our ropes for rescue etc.

What I did was sew up an open ended, Sunbrella bag. On the bottom I installed a 1/2" brass grommet. Sticking out of that grommet is the end of the rope, that has been weaved into an eye. Now, all I do is stuff that rope into the open end , and keep stuffing, until the anchor is right at the top of the bag. This way, the entire rope assembly and even the short length of chain for the Danforth, is all in that bag. It stores very, very neatly this way.

When it comes time to use and deploy either of those anchors. it's simple. I grab the eye and loop it through and around a cleat. Then, I grab the anchor and simply toss it in the direction I need so the two (or the one) will work for the application at the time. 99.99999% of the time, I don't use all the rope that's stuffed in either bag. In that case, it's simple. When the rope is tight and the boat is stable, I grab what I need and lock it down on a cleat and the bag, with the rest of the rope just sits on the deck. That rope, all 85' of it, WILL NEVER, EVER tangle or knot up due to the way it's stowed inside that bag. Yes, it takes a tad bit of time to stuff the bag but, to me, it's well worth it knowing that, the next time I need it, it will deploy without ever having a knot or tangle. Sorry for the long post but, it's how we do things to keep from getting frustrated with tangled ropes. We used to carry a 75' section of rope on each of us in the FD. If we were in a *panic* or desperate situation, we would latch on to anything stable in a building, and toss that little bag out the nearest window. NOT ONE TIME, EVER, did any of those ropes, knot or tangle when falling the 60'-70' straight down the side of a building. We would then repel down. So, it's a good system to use.

Incidentally, if you didn't notice, those BOX anchors are made right here in our town of Lake Havasu City AZ. I've been down to their shop quite a few times.
Scott

Last edited:
That is such a great idea FireUp. I love it!!!

I have 2, a small and a baby . The small is enough to hold my 23 QCW and my previous 23 RCW .
I use the baby in the stern to stop the sway on windy days
I have two questions for everyone.

1. I’m wanting to get a box anchor for my 26 LXL with ESP. How heavy of one do I need? Anchor company has a 21 and 26 pound ones and said I need the large one. I don’t fish so mostly just dropping anchor to swim in calmer water. What weight should I be looking at? I would like this to be my main anchor for everything and I will probably get something smaller for near shore or on the sandbar.

2. As far as anchor line I’ve seen recommendations of 5:1 or 7:1 for length vs depth. I figured I should probably have 150 if I want to anchor in open water but for using it in shallow water should I have a shorter length and swap them or just let less out? Do you spool them up with something or just throw everything in the seat? I don’t want to be fighting with 100 ft of rope on the boat if only 30-50 ft is in the water.

Any suggestions would be great as I’m new and want to make sure I got everything covered. Thanks!
I have read from multiple sources that the small is more than adequate 90% of the time. My buddies all use the large with amazing results, but they all have Deep V's. I am going with the original Slide Anchor Box that is 19 pounds, and then decide if that is the right choice (vs a larger, 2 medium, or the more typical Small and Baby as noted by JackM - with the Baby being used to lock the position off the opposite end of the boat). Slide Anchor and other sources all say these BoxAnchors are a 2 to 1 ratio.

I have found simply winding up the rope works, have vet to find a spool that works well and not oversized. I do like the Slide Anchor clip attached to a buoy ball and then the anchor rope, makes adjusting the line easy. Plus, as I learned from my buddies, they mark the rope every 10 feet with a circle around the rope as a quick reference (1 circle for each 10 foot, then a thick circle and smaller ones for 50 to 100).

Definitely check out the Slide Anchor site noted by Jack M - apparently they are the originals (and did not get a patent apparently). Though I think their slide hook is knock off of the Danik Hook, I believe they are also the original makers of the Slide Anchor Spike which is awesome when beaching.

Back