Anodized Rub Rails

azray007

Reaction score
Good day everyone!  I purchased a new Bennington last year and I used the heck out of it.  While I was out having fun, I was not diligent protecting my anodized aluminum rub rails.  My boat still looks great, but my rub rails show some serious age.  Does anyone have any suggestions for removing scratches from the anodized aluminum?  I'm a bit OCD and those scratches are really starting to get to me.

Thank you in advance for your advice!!

Alan

Anodizing is a coating so I think unless you get them redone, you've got what you got. If you sand them you'll take the coating off.

Yes, I'm afraid there's not an easy fix.  Has any priced having a new rub rail installed?  

Which part are you talking about?

Thank you MrG.  I wonder what the cost of new parts would be?  That's an awesome job, but for me, I don't have the time to do all that work.  I sure wish there was an easier solution.  My sides look just as bad as the front...even my rear is scratched from loading up my large Yeti.  Maybe I deal with it one more summer and over the winter see what my dealer can do for me.

I was just looking in your gallery and noticed that you don't have a rubrail. A rubrail would be in addition to the side trim. I don't know why they sell these boats without them. The stainless piece in this pic is the rubrail./gallery/album_147/gallery_1200_147_1540911.jpg

Carl, I think they still call it a rub rail. Then there's the "heavy duty rub-rail" and the "Stainless h-d" option above. That's what they called my part I was going to replace on my R.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is calling the Aluminum that the rub rail attaches to "the rub rail" 

option #1 you could order all new aluminum and have your dealer install it.  My guess to put all new Aluminum around your entire boat is gonna be in the $3000-$5000 range. 

Option #2 remove all the Aluminum yourself and have it refinished like I Did and it's gonna cost you $ 500 for all your Aluminum. 

Option # 3 order all the parts from your dealer and install the new Aluminum yourself. I would guess all the Aluminum would be in the $1500 + shipping range?

I would say you could remove all your Aluminum in 8hrs. And another 8hrs to re install.  The trick would be finding someone in your Aera that could anodize that large.

I truthfully don't think it should be that much. For the front curved one piece section on my RL that goes about a foot or two back on each side, I was quoted $150 3 years ago. That's a curved piece, so even if you double that and then double again for the rear, plus two straight sides, I can't imagine it being over $800-$1000. Throw in another 6 or so hours to replace @ $80/hr = $480. 

Without the upgrade rail installed, it should be much easier to install. 

If you get it replaced, ADD A OPTIONAL RUB RAIL TO THE STANDARD RAIL. 

Semper: that's good to know, thanks for the info. Depending on where the OP is located shipping might cost more then the part if your pricing is correct. For the record I think bennington has been pretty fair with prices when it comes to Aluminum. I have had to buy a few pieces of plastic trim and some other do' dad's and they were both with in reason as far as cost go's. 

And someone else else brought up a good point. If your replacing all the Aluminum it might be a good time if your boat Dosent have a rub rail to upgrade to the stainless rub rail. 

I have the heavy duty rub rail on mine, and am so glad I have it.  Fenders don't always stay in the right places when docked, and the rub rails have saved me many times.  

BTW: You can clean the rubber on the rub rail easily with acetone.  Makes them look brand spankin' new.  Easy to do.

Thank you everyone!  I'm going to reach out to my dealer and get a replacement cost quote.  I took another look and the sides aren't too bad; I will, at a minimum, replace the the front and rear.  Also, I'll go with the stainless rub rail.  

Thank you everyone for your advice!

For what it's worth. All you that are reading up on what to look for on a new Bennington before you buy.The stainless rub rail will be on any new boat that I will ever have! They take the bumps and nudges at the docks with out showing. Just my 2 cents.

For what it's worth. All you that are reading up on what to look for on a new Bennington before you buy.The stainless rub rail will be on any new boat that I will ever have! They take the bumps and nudges at the docks with out showing. Just my 2 cents.

I would be concerned that any bumps would put a dent in it.  Is the SS really that durable? That's why I like the HD rub rail.  That has taken a beating and still looks great.

I would be concerned that any bumps would put a dent in it.  Is the SS really that durable? That's why I like the HD rub rail.  That has taken a beating and still looks great.

I don't really do a lot of "foreign" docking since we're on a very small lake, but I've found the SS rail to be extremely durable around our dock/lift, local gas dock, and various friends' small docks on the lake.

I had both the rubber and stainless now on different pontoons. The stainless handles the mooring posts and dock rubs soooo much better. The stainless has no dings,dents,or scratches. I remember the rubber was chewed up in several places.That stainless rail is some hard stuff!

I assumed the stainless would show more dock rash than the rubber. Interesting.

For what its worth, I have the heavy duty rub rails and had a few colorful smears on it that I could not get off with anything.  I found some stuff called "Goo Gone" and it cleaned up that rail and made it look new again.  You can find it at just about any hardware store.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what its worth, I have the heavy duty rub rails and had a few colorful smears on it that I could not get off with anything.  I found some stuff called "Goo Gone" and it cleaned up that rail and made it look new again.  You can find it at just about any hardware store.

Acetone cleans the rubber on the heavy duty rub rails up like new as well.

Back