Another SimTex question

jbird212

Reaction score
I have read all the forums regarding the cleaning and care of Simtex, but thought I would ask again. I just detailed the boat really well and of course I am tempted to put 303 on the seats. From all the posts and info, it states this is not needed, but in my mind I think 303 should add more protection...

Thoughts, Comments?

I would contact 303 and get their feedback.

I was specifically told not to use 303 on Simtex as was not approved for the seats. You don't need it why would you use it. Bennington went to Simtex because it is known as one the best marine materials for seating.

Last edited:
I was also told not to use 303 or any equivalent on the material. It just is not needed. The Simtex cleans very easy with a 10:1 water to mild detergent mix (I use ivory dish soap). I've only needed to use something stronger (I don't remember if it was Fantastik or 409) to get some yellow staining off from tree pollen. Why use a chemical on the seats if you don't have to.

I researched this and everything pointed to not using 303. I had used 303 regularly on my older boat with traditional vinyl and it took everything in me to not use 303 after cleaning the new boat with Simtex. Now my boat is only just over one season old and unless we are on the boat it has the mooring cover on and is in a covered slip on a lift. We have only had to use warm water and a microfiber cloth to clean it. My experience is that nothing sticks to the Simtex so it cleans easily. Disclaimer: This is my opinion. That and $5 will get you a cup of Starbucks.

Thanks for the feedback, agree that all signs point to not using 303. Old habits are hard to break and yes Simtex cleans easily, boat looks brand new again.

My experience with Simtex is that it actually will stain, and some of the stains I have not been able to remove. The stains on our boat are from the elements, such as bugs and trees. I have tried water and dish soap, & also 409. Neither have been able to completely remove them. Due to the coronavirus, I have not been able to try Fantastik since we don't have any on the store shelves.

Like you I wanted to use my trusted and proven 303 but was told not to. I didn’t and the upholstery on my 2017 GSR is looking great.

This is one of the topics I was going to search for today. Our service guy strongly suggested it. I bought a bottle but planned to research prior to applying. Glad I did. It's going back!

This is one of the topics I was going to search for today. Our service guy strongly suggested it. I bought a bottle but planned to research prior to applying. Glad I did. It's going back!

If you have leather seats in your car or truck, 303 is great to use on them. I use it on my truck's seats regularly.

Last edited:
We have a new pontoon with Simtex seats that we just used for the second summer. Last summer I was able to get spots out with the water/dish soap mix, and “Boat Erasers.” I have noticed more spots surfacing this summer and have tried to keep up on cleaning them the same way. I am wondering if in addition to spot cleaning, it is recommended to do a general cleaning of all surfaces each summer? If one does a general cleaning, what is recommended to use and is a sun protection formula required? I have been unable to find this information anywhere. Thank you for any of your thoughts about this!

I guess I'm the odd man out. I have used 303 Multi Surface Cleaner on every square inch of my 2021 20SLG for its entire first season on the water... including the Simtex. It cleans the vinyl beautifully. It cleans EVERYTHING beautifully (except it struggles to completely remove the water spots from the engine cowling). Not sure what everyone's problem is with the 303 cleaner. No one has said WHY they do not use it other than "they heard" or "were told by their dealer" not to. I will continue to use it successfully on my Benny.

I guess I'm the odd man out. I have used 303 Multi Surface Cleaner on every square inch of my 2021 20SLG for its entire first season on the water... including the Simtex. It cleans the vinyl beautifully. It cleans EVERYTHING beautifully (except it struggles to completely remove the water spots from the engine cowling). Not sure what everyone's problem is with the 303 cleaner. No one has said WHY they do not use it other than "they heard" or "were told by their dealer" not to. I will continue to use it successfully on my Benny.
I believe everybody is advising NOT to use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on the Simtex fabric. They are NOT talking about the the 303 Multi Surface cleaner. I don't have Simtex but I believe the 303 product you are using is safe for the cleaning part. They are advising to not use the 303 Protectant on Simtex!!!

We have a new pontoon with Simtex seats that we just used for the second summer. Last summer I was able to get spots out with the water/dish soap mix, and “Boat Erasers.” I have noticed more spots surfacing this summer and have tried to keep up on cleaning them the same way. I am wondering if in addition to spot cleaning, it is recommended to do a general cleaning of all surfaces each summer? If one does a general cleaning, what is recommended to use and is a sun protection formula required? I have been unable to find this information anywhere. Thank you for any of your thoughts about this!
Many of us have recommended not using the 303 on the Simtex in many posts over time because it’s not advised per the manufacture instructions.

A few of us, myself included, have attached the manufacturer cleaning instructions in a variety of posts. I have no doubt 303 products will clean the Simtex very well. Probably better than what is recommend in the short run. However, I suspect/worry that if used long term stronger cleaning agents like 303 products will negatively impact or break down the Simtex. Otherwise, why would the manufacture not recommended 303 and similar products as opposed to more gentle cleaning solutions?

I hope it doesn’t have a negative impact for you. I tend to error on the side of caution in these situations.

Once again, for those interested, the Simtex cleaning instructions from the manufacturer:

Attachments

• Bennington Simtex.pdf
    461.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I wrote a post looking for solutions on how to remove water spots on my toons, most replies suggest using a 50:50 mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I was amazed at how well it worked. Sprayed it on and waited for about a minute and wiped off. Water spots were gone. Even on the engine cowling.

I wrote a post looking for solutions on how to remove water spots on my toons, most replies suggest using a 50:50 mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I was amazed at how well it worked. Sprayed it on and waited for about a minute and wiped off. Water spots were gone. Even on the engine cowling.
Yup... I read that, too! That’s what I’ll be doing once she’s pulled on October 4.

Many of us have recommended not using the 303 on the Simtex in many posts over time because it’s not advised per the manufacture instructions.

A few of us, myself included, have attached the manufacturer cleaning instructions in a variety of posts. I have no doubt 303 products will clean the Simtex very well. Probably better than what is recommend in the short run. However, I suspect/worry that if used long term stronger cleaning agents like 303 products will negatively impact or break down the Simtex. Otherwise, why would the manufacture not recommended 303 and similar products as opposed to more gentle cleaning solutions?

I hope it doesn’t have a negative impact for you. I tend to error on the side of caution in these situations.

Once again, for those interested, the Simtex cleaning instructions from the manufacturer:
I certainly appreciate the information! And I have seen that attached care information. However, 303 multi surface cleaner is not abrasive. It certainly is on par with 409 or fantastic which the guide says is safe to use in step two. 303 is definitely not bleach-based like step three calls for, or isopropyl alcohol-based like step four. I’ve read that bleach can deteriorate the stitching overtime. so I have no intention to use that. Again, thank you for the information, but I think I’m fine using 303 multi surface cleaner safely on my Simtex.

Okay maybe I was wrong. I didn't realize that the manufacturer doesn't recommend 303 products period, on Simtex fabric. I thought they meant the Protectant. Thx for correcting me Vikingstaff....

My experience with Simtex is that it actually will stain, and some of the stains I have not been able to remove. The stains on our boat are from the elements, such as bugs and trees. I have tried water and dish soap, & also 409. Neither have been able to completely remove them. Due to the coronavirus, I have not been able to try Fantastik since we don't have any on the store shelves.
Had the same issue, Fantastik worked like a charm!

Back