Any suggestions on changing the pitch of my prop?

Kirk Borders

Reaction score
I have a 25 ft Bennington with a Yamaha 150 engine. The engine model is a F150XB. I want a bump to the top speed from what I get from the factory prop. I know I will sacrifice some torque from start but I am ok with that. Anyone have experience or suggestions on what prop to change to for more top end? Also, what’s the pros and cons going to a stainless prop? Thanks in advance!

I have a 25 ft Bennington with a Yamaha 150 engine. The engine model is a F150XB. I want a bump to the top speed from what I get from the factory prop. I know I will sacrifice some torque from start but I am ok with that. Anyone have experience or suggestions on what prop to change to for more top end? Also, what’s the pros and cons going to a stainless prop? Thanks in advance!
Frankly, with a 150 it should have had a SS prop out of the gate. What’s on it now (Alum?, make, dia, pitch)? FYI, the boat does not come with either the prop or motor from factory. They are all separate. The dealer picks and puts on the prop…unless you specify at the time you order it or purchase it.

Anyway, are you past break in at this point? What model Bennington and hull do you have? That can impact recommendations a bit too due to a variety of factors. If past break in, what is your MPH and RPM‘s at WOT now when on a light load in good conditions?

There are lots of posts if you do a search in these forums for propping, and since a 150 is such a common and go to motor, I‘d imagine there are already some suggestions in here. I would maybe think a 14p Enertia prop would give you some fantastic performance. You’d just need to get a hub kit for it on the Yamaha motor. Some other really good recommended props over time in here too - SDS Reliance and SWSII’s often get recommended for Yamaha motors in that HP range.

That said, I have a 200HP Mercury on a 24’ SSBXP with the SPS hull and 16p Enertia prop, so I am not as dialed in on an ideal prop recommendation for you with a 150 Yamaha.

Also, there is a “List Your Specs” thread in here that has been added to over time. Not a bad spot to browse through to find a boat/Motor/Hull configuration similar to yours for good prop ideas too. In scheming through the link below, there are a number of 150HP Yamaha motors on Tritoons with performance specs. Find the boat most similar to your model and hull type with that 150 Yamy, and you should come away with some nice specific ideas. Good luck!!!

List Your Specs

Last edited:
Frankly, with a 150 it should have had a SS prop out of the gate. What’s on it now (Alum?, make, dia, pitch)? FYI, the boat does not come with either the prop or motor from factory. They are all separate. The dealer picks and puts on the prop…unless you specify at the time you order it or purchase it.

Anyway, are you past break in at this point? What model Bennington and hull do you have? That can impact recommendations a bit too due to a variety of factors. If past break in, what is your MPH and RPM‘s at WOT now when on a light load in good conditions?

There are lots of posts if you do a search in these forums for propping, and since a 150 is such a common and go to motor, I‘d imagine there are already some suggestions in here. I would maybe think a 14p Enertia prop would give you some fantastic performance. You’d just need to get a hub kit for it on the Yamaha motor. Some other really good recommended props over time in here too - SDS Reliance and SWSII’s often get recommended for Yamaha motors in that HP range.

That said, I have a 200HP Mercury on a 24’ SSBXP with the SPS hull and 16p Enertia prop, so I am not as dialed in on an ideal prop recommendation for you with a 150 Yamaha.

Also, there is a “List Your Specs” thread in here that has been added to over time. Not a bad spot to browse through to find a boat/Motor/Hull configuration similar to yours for good prop ideas too. In scheming through the link below, there are a number of 150HP Yamaha motors on Tritoons with performance specs. Find the boat most similar to your model and hull type with that 150 Yamy, and you should come away with some nice specific ideas. Good luck!!!

List Your Specs
Wow, thanks for all the info. I will do some research through the links you suggested here. I don’t know why I thought it was a fairly basic process. My last boat was an inboard with an Acme prop. It was pretty easy to just adjust the pitch to get the performance I was looking for. I should have assumed now having an outboard there would be infinite applications. I have 2 young kids and live on a very large lake. My kids weigh about 70lbs between them so not much need for torque at launch. Would prefer to trade for less rpms when at cruising speed for a quieter ride. Let me answer your questions from your previous reply;

1. Yes, well past the break in period. It is a 2017 with 80ish hours
2. Came with a aluminum prop when purchased new. Can’t find any markings to indicate a model.
3. I have a 2017 2375 RCW - R23
3. Not sure of rpms at WOT, but top speed is about 23mph on a calm day with a light load

Thanks again for all the info and any further recommendations. Looks like I have some research to begin!

Attachments

• C4A9F1B5-6C72-4178-B3E2-798EBB6C8D42.jpeg
    C4A9F1B5-6C72-4178-B3E2-798EBB6C8D42.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 8
  • BCAEAE0D-3505-43A0-99C7-0D118C4EBFA5.jpeg
    BCAEAE0D-3505-43A0-99C7-0D118C4EBFA5.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 8
My previous Bennington was a 2014 , 23 RCW arch ( added weight ) with a 150 . Prop was a SS, 15 X 15 Enertia . I was able to hit 38 ,full tank ,with my wife and I

1. Yes, well past the break in period. It is a 2017 with 80ish hours
2. Came with a aluminum prop when purchased new. Can’t find any markings to indicate a model.
3. I have a 2017 2375 RCW - R23
3. Not sure of rpms at WOT, but top speed is about 23mph on a calm day with a light load

Thanks again for all the info and any further recommendations. Looks like I have some research to begin!
You are welcome. You have A LOT of unlocked performance baced on sharing your top speed is 23 mph on a calm day, light load. I‘d expect you to be in the mid to high 30’s with your 150. Potentially even cracking 40 mph.

Are your pontoons clean (algae or scum build up)? If dirty with scum or algae build up, that REALLY slows a boat down.

If they are clean, that aluminum prop is killing your performance.

Frankly, this is pretty exciting news, because with the right prop and clean pontoons, I think you are about to feel like you bought a brand new boat (performance wise, because she’s otherwise a beauty in your picture).

I personally really like Enertia props. I’d think a 14 or 15p would be a good option for you, and you’d just need a hub kit to fit the prop. That said, A LOT of people also have really be singing the praises of the SWS II props in particular with their Yamaha’s, so that should also be a great option.

You could reach out to Ken at PropGods. He has given a lot of good and specific advice to many in this forum, and is highly acclaimed for his accuracy. Here is the website for him:

Ken at Propgods

You are not kidding! I was looking at some similar boats on the List My Spec page and feel like I’m missing a blade or something. After doing some reading I agree with the 15 direction. I am going to reach out to Ken at Prop Gods to see what he recommends. My toons I cannot say have been spotless as the boat stayed in the water up till recently, just purchasing a lift over the winter. I did have an acid wash performed a couple years ago and still only got about 26ish on 1/4 tank with just me in the boat, so a prop change shall be coming! You have been very helpful and I really appreciate the direction!

ps. Any experience running a new line for replacing a transducer? Beavers chewed through my power line so now I have to fish a new one. I tried pulling the line from where it comes out of the floor behind the console but it didn’t budge!

You should start a new thread asking about transducer replacement. It will get overlooked in a prop thread.

You are not kidding! I was looking at some similar boats on the List My Spec page and feel like I’m missing a blade or something. After doing some reading I agree with the 15 direction. I am going to reach out to Ken at Prop Gods to see what he recommends. My toons I cannot say have been spotless as the boat stayed in the water up till recently, just purchasing a lift over the winter. I did have an acid wash performed a couple years ago and still only got about 26ish on 1/4 tank with just me in the boat, so a prop change shall be coming! You have been very helpful and I really appreciate the direction!

ps. Any experience running a new line for replacing a transducer? Beavers chewed through my power line so now I have to fish a new one. I tried pulling the line from where it comes out of the floor behind the console but it didn’t budge!
This is from CLDave. He was installing underwater lights but basically the same location for the transducer. Maybe this will help.
My boat is a tritoon and has the full waveshield underneath, so it was tricky getting the wire from the helm to the back of the boat. I ended up duct-taping 5 fiberglass rods (driveway markers) together, taping some string to the end, and fishing the wire from the cockpit through the access hole under the helm to the back of the boat on the starboard side. To help, I grabbed a Nest cam from the cabin and stuck it down the hole so I could see where I was going.
You could search transducer or underwater lighting and possibly find more suggestions. Good luck!

Back