Anyone else having trouble getting used to white Mercury outboards?

goldnrod24

Reaction score
These play tricks with my mind.

I love the QX Sport model, however.2019 Bennington QX Sport.jpg

I see a lot of white outboards down here. I like how it looks paired with a white QX

I'd love to have a white Mercury. I find keeping my Phantom Black Verado spot free almost impossible.

Here in SW Florida, black motors are brutal to the touch in the hot sun, and are even harder to keep clean in salt water. My new Mercs will be white, and yes, I like them that way ;-)

At least as of a couple of years ago, getting your Yamaha outboard in white was more than a $3000 upcharge. I love the look on certain boats, but that's a lot of cash.

For me, it is primarily about color coordinating with the boat. If the white goes with the boats color scheme (like in in the QX above), then I love it. Our black Merc. Verado matches and goes awesomely with our darker colored Bennington. However, a strong secondary consideration is cost. Do the new Mercury’s in different colors such as white cost more money, or like the Yamaha’s a few years ago, A LOT more money? I could see shelling out a few hundred more to have a better aesthetic look in color matching ($200-800). Any more than that, I’d have a hard time stomaching it on just the motor.

All of that said, like Steve above, keeping our black Merc. Verado clean and free of water spots often feels like a total losing proposition.

All of that said, like Steve above, keeping our black Merc. Verado clean and free of water spots often feels like a total losing proposition.

A 50/50 solution of vinegar and water has always worked wonders for me.

I need to try this combination. I’ve heard bout it, but just always forget about it when I am actually cleaning off the boat. o_O

i like my silvery grey yamaha, goes with every color combo.
Almost every new boat we looked at here in Florida (Pursuit, Grady, Everglades, etc) where they are OEM partners, had white Yamaha's on them. They still charge a crazy premium, but people apparently like them enough to pay extra for it. Mercury's up-charge is much less now with the new V6 and V8 line, 4 colors available. So now there is something for everyone, whichever you prefer, choice is good!

At least as of a couple of years ago, getting your Yamaha outboard in white was more than a $3000 upcharge. I love the look on certain boats, but that's a lot of cash.

Say it with Krylon. :)

We have a Cold Fusion White Verado and couldn't be happier. Easy to keep clean and stays relatively cool here in Lake Havasu even in the 100+ heat.

Rear.jpg

For me, it is primarily about color coordinating with the boat. If the white goes with the boats color scheme (like in in the QX above), then I love it. Our black Merc. Verado matches and goes awesomely with our darker colored Bennington. However, a strong secondary consideration is cost. Do the new Mercury’s in different colors such as white cost more money, or like the Yamaha’s a few years ago, A LOT more money? I could see shelling out a few hundred more to have a better aesthetic look in color matching ($200-800). Any more than that, I’d have a hard time stomaching it on just the motor.

I concur, coordinating the color combination is important to me. That is part of why we went with the black Suzuki with our new boat. I know many on this forum are wed to a certain brand of motor. I loved the Yamaha we had on our first boat. But I have to say that I have been very impressed with the Suzuki although admitted my hours are still low.

Back in the 60’s or 50’s white mercs we’re popular. I had a 1976 115hp that was black but had bicentennial decals for that year only.

Frankly, I’d love a white cowl! Water spots are the bane of my existence and I’ve tried quite a few remedies.

I had thought about getting a white Mercury but none of their whites matched Bennington's white .With the boat delivery running late I went with the black and then was planning to get it custom painted over the winter. After seeing the boat rigged with the black motor and accent stripe. No painting is needed .

Frankly, I’d love a white cowl! Water spots are the bane of my existence and I’ve tried quite a few remedies.
I've waxed the crap out of my motor and don't notice the water spots. It's the spiders and webs that are killing us but that's another thread......

Back