Anyone with a Verado what hole is your motor in

Todd & Amanda

Reaction score
Our boat is a 25Qsb with the 350 Verado. From the very little we got to try out our new toon I instantly noticed that the motor is mounted to low, it's actually mounted as low as it will go. Best I can tell is it needs to come up atleast 1 hole and possibly 2, just curious where everyone else's is sitting.

/gallery/album_224/gallery_1431_224_3415.jpg/gallery/album_224/gallery_1431_224_34788.jpg

3rd hole from top. i.e. there are 2 open holes above the mounting bolt.

That's good to know. I felt like it needed to come up 2 holes which would be the 3rd from top.

I decided to contact Bennington and ask about the mounting location, they responded and said it needs to be in hole #2. I guess I'm going to try that along with going up to the 16 pitch prop and run it a while to see how it does.

Tom,I've never seen an out drive bumper on a lift before. Did you come up with that or did the lift company offer it as an option?

It's a standard Shore Station part. Works great since I have an "L" dock section across the bow.

The motor stop is nice because once adjusted, it places your boat perfectly on the lift every time.

I decided to contact Bennington and ask about the mounting location, they responded and said it needs to be in hole #2. I guess I'm going to try that along with going up to the 16 pitch prop and run it a while to see how it does.

I know your boat is large and heavy, but I can't believe the dealer put a 15P prop on that motor.

I know your boat is large and heavy, but I can't believe the dealer put a 15P prop on that motor.

I'm surprised at that as well, I was expecting a 16 or 17. I see all of these boats with the 300 Verados running a 16P and several of them are R series which should weigh about the same as my boat. The dealer said they tried a 16P on it and it didn't perform as well as the 15 but I think that's because they have the motor to low. From what little experience I have with boating when the motor raises up one hole my rpm's should come up by 100-150 and going up to the 16P prop should lower them back down around 200. Right now the boat is turning 6500 rpm's when trimmed at it's best so raising the motor one hole and adding 1" of pitch should still have me around the 6300-6400 rpm range. I really feel like that motor needs to be raised 2 holes and I'd love to try a 17P prop on it, we don't have heavy loads on our boat, most times it's only 3 of us. The times we have more on board there's 3 ladies up front and the rest of us in the rear so I think I could get by raising it 2 holes.

That was my thought too.

We optimized ours for 2 people plus a Labrador, very rarely have heavy loads. I've driven several boats now with 350's (twins) and they are amazingly strong at top end and very torquey. I'd think at least a 17.

There are some great videos showing where the engine height should be at cruise (NOT at top end, trimmed up). At a midrange cruise and trimmed flat, you should just be able to see the cavitation plate at the surface. I'm guessing yours is completely buried in the wash.

Yes TomS mine is buried at cruising rpm's. Typically it's me the wife and daughter on board and our dog which weighs a whopping 14lbs lol. It will be rare occasions that we would have more than 7 people on our boat and even then there won't be over 4 in the front. I purposely put 5 people up front to see what it would do and it seemed way better, it actually still hit 49 mph briefly and that was in less than perfect weather, it did 48.5 consistently. I agree on the 17P and if my dealer had one in stock I'd be trying one because I believe the 350 is strong enough to turn it. I have an appointment to take it in to the dealer tomorrow and I'm on the fence about raising it 1 or 2 holes, right now leaning harder toward 2 holes.

When you raise the motors how does that impact turning? Do you get more blow out if not trimmed all the way down?

When you raise the motors how does that impact turning? Do you get more blow out if not trimmed all the way down?

I always trim down in hard turns, not necessarily 100% down, but I really have no issue with blowout on mine.

I'll look at mine when I get the battery back in so I can play with trim. I also have to make sure it clears the tow bar when raised all the way up as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised at that as well, I was expecting a 16 or 17. I see all of these boats with the 300 Verados running a 16P and several of them are R series which should weigh about the same as my boat. The dealer said they tried a 16P on it and it didn't perform as well as the 15 but I think that's because they have the motor to low. From what little experience I have with boating when the motor raises up one hole my rpm's should come up by 100-150 and going up to the 16P prop should lower them back down around 200. Right now the boat is turning 6500 rpm's when trimmed at it's best so raising the motor one hole and adding 1" of pitch should still have me around the 6300-6400 rpm range. I really feel like that motor needs to be raised 2 holes and I'd love to try a 17P prop on it, we don't have heavy loads on our boat, most times it's only 3 of us. The times we have more on board there's 3 ladies up front and the rest of us in the rear so I think I could get by raising it 2 holes.

I have messed with my motor mounting several times trying to get it as close as can be for performance/fuel/ pulling. I know I want it all! :)   you're 100% correct  about gaining RPM on physically raising the motor up, 150-200 is very realistic. I don't have an ESP tube but my cavitation plate is just about an 1" above the bottom of the tube and it works great. I can pull a 16p on my 200 so I would think a 17p all day long depending on diameter. You'll be amazed how much different the boat performs when you hit it right on the money!

Last edited by a moderator:
My motor is raised, I have the simon motorsports tune and my boat is lighter, but I run a 19P Enertia with no problems.

I have messed with my motor mounting several times trying to get it as close as can be for performance/fuel/ pulling. I know I want it all! :)   you're 100% correct  about gaining RPM on physically raising the motor up, 150-200 is very realistic. I don't have an ESP tube but my cavitation plate is just about an 1" above the bottom of the tube and it works great. I can pull a 16p on my 200 so I would think a 17p all day long depending on diameter. You'll be amazed how much different the boat performs when you hit it right on the money!

What hole are you on?

I have a 25" shaft..... on my boat! I'm in the third hole down so I would have one more hole to raise it up if need be. I'm running a 15 x 15 rebel prop.

Back