Applying fabric guard mooring cover:

akleaders

Reaction score
Question. I assume I should not apply fabric guard while cover is on boat. Definitely do not want to stain seats etc.

Do you guys and gals just lay out on driveway for example......or do u hang it somehow.

I think I will spray boot while on.

Also....do u do bimini while top is up.

Thank you!!

I used a propane tank ( 500 gallons) a ladder and what ever else I could come up with for support .

Last edited by a moderator:
I put mine over the trailer after I launched the boat.  Sprayed it in the parking lot and it was dry when boating was done. 

I have a long wooden fence in my back yard and draped the mooring cover, both bimini tops, and both bimini boots over that to spray with the Solo sprayer.  The fabric dries very quickly.

As I have a walkway on each side of my boat I spray the mooring cover as she is docked

The bimini comes off and re-installs easy enough so I'd do all of it (including the boot) away from the boat. We were careful but still noticed some overspray onto our deck afterwards. It's hard to get it up to the edges without getting a little overspray too.

Why put it on the bimini?  When it's raining the boot is on?

Some leave it open .My self I have never used  my Bimini and most likely never will .

Why put it on the bimini?  When it's raining the boot is on?

For us: We use our bimini a lot. We've experienced light rain sprinkles before (while out on the water) and I'd rather have it repelled vs soaking in. Especially because we always put away the bimini in the boot when leaving for the day (as well as using the mooring cover every time). If there's even the slightest amount of moisture in the fabric before folding it up into the boot I'd worry endlessly about mold & mildew, rot, etc. (we're 3 hrs away and may not get back for a week) With the repellent, water beads up and rolls right off and also dries a lot faster.

I will be doing this to our cover and bimini once all the darn pollen is off the trees! Having oak trees is a mess. The pollen pod things are almost down and I can give everything a good washing.

What have you guys used for the repellent?  Thanks 

It is always 303 products

What have you guys used for the repellent?  Thanks 
Lots of 303 products!

For the bimini, boot and mooring cover: 303 Fabric Guard #30674 (gallon) or from Amazon currently cheaper overall w/the 8/32 oz #30650. Takes approx a gallon to do it all (Last year it was called "303 High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellant" which made it easier to pick out. Here's a link to the 2015 product (Make sure it says "water repellancy technology":

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do not apply 303 fabric protectant to your mooring cover or your bimini.  They already have a water repellant.   

I applied 303, and came up with a big splotchy mess.  And it won't come out in an industrial washing machine either.

The bottle says to test in an inconspicuous place...but, that said, Bama, I think something malfunctioned in your case because what we use works wonders and without it, or after it's worn off, rainwater really does soak into the fabric which causes moisture/dampness underneath on the upholstery. First hand knowledge this second season in fact.

Important thing is to buy the correct product! (there's so many #'s and names on the 303 it is totally confusing!)

Agreed tyjy, I spray 303 fabric guard on my mooring cover every year and have not had any discoloration or any other problems

Lots of 303 products!

For the bimini, boot and mooring cover: 303 Fabric Guard #30674 (gallon) or from Amazon currently cheaper overall w/the 8/32 oz #30650. Takes approx a gallon to do it all (Last year it was called "303 High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellant" which made it easier to pick out. Here's a link to the 2015 product (Make sure it says "water repellancy technology":

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
btw, just got my order and the bottles are labeled just like last year, not like the Amazon ad linked above from which I ordered from! (every bottle is "High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellant"), which, for my peace of mind is a good thing! but whaaat? I thought labels changed :wacko:   (see what I mean about "confusing"?)

btw, just got my order and the bottles are labeled just like last year, not like the Amazon ad linked above from which I ordered from! (every bottle is "High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellant"), which, for my peace of mind is a good thing! but whaaat? I thought labels changed :wacko:   (see what I mean about "confusing"?)
If you read the specs of the "new 303 product" on Amazon... It says the label has changed but the product is the same. But also says by ordering the new product they are still currently shipping the old product which is the same. A bit confusing. The real kicker though, is the fact I saved $11 by ordering last years product. I paid $60 for a gallon as opposed to $71 for the same product that shows the new label... even though I would have received the same product with the old label. Now that's confusing.

Back