Auxiliary fuel Tank

Rocketman356

Reaction score
Have a 2013 RBR 2550 with 350hp Yamaha
The 34 gallon tank won’t get us & back on long rides
Anyone add a auxiliary tank on board or install a larger main tank ?
Thanks Scott

Several posts about this - doesn't sound easy if you're looking for something more than a jerry can strapped to the boat. I suspect if there is room in the transom for a larger tank (assuming you have a tritoon) it would require some significant cutting of the deck to swap it out. Likely doable but could be major $$ if you have to pull furniture out etc.

You have a few more years of warranty on that deck so it might be a consideration if tearing things apart.

Another approach if getting more efficient on operation to extend range. Better prop, raising the motor, reducing weight or drag etc. could all help and even if you go from 2.0mpg to 2.4mpg that nets you another 15 miles of range. A more drastic approach could be sizing down in motor (350 to a 250?) or a new motor that may have better fuel efficiency.

All this to suggest it'll be a challenge for sure.

Good luck!

These are used around here a lot for long fishing trips. The military uses them so they're very durable. Of course you still have to deal with plumbing.

ATL Fuel Bladders

There has also been a 39 gallon Bennington fuel tank on eBay for a while.

But I can't remember if your boat had that rear ottoman that this fuel tank may fit in. But if you're not too far from Michigan, it may be worth considering.

3F586FC1-B303-4906-AEFC-16BD66DCF916.png
Problem solve
After a recent trip to lake of the Ozarks late season the stops are on off season hours
And We pontoon out to the outer regions of the lake and return late evenings
So bought this 58 gallon auxiliary gas tank with a 12 volt pump and fits nicely on the transom
Just will have to move rear swim ladder to port because of our layout most people sit port side so putting tank starboard will balance pontoon nicely when pontoon loaded up with people and the additional weight of 58 gallon of gas when I need to fill

View attachment 33529
Problem solve
After a recent trip to lake of the Ozarks late season the stops are on off season hours
So bought this 58 gallon auxiliary gas tank with a 12 volt pump and fits nicely on the transom
Just will have to move rear swim ladder to port because of our layout most people sit port side so putting tank starboard will balance pontoon nicely when pontoon loaded up with people and the additional weight of 58 gallon of gas when I need to fill
Interesting option. Can you share a link to this product?

I’m curious about it and it’s a topic that comes up sometimes. Is it a portable type thing, or permanent mount? Is it basically a gas storage tank with a pump to pump into your own tank on the go? Very intriguing.

shocked at the price $1,199

View attachment 33529
Problem solve
I have the same problem as we have a 450 merc and are on a big lake. Can you provide more info on your aux tank?

Bought on Amazon just search 58 gallon auxiliary tank
Haven’t installed yet but dimensions perfect on my aft transom
Will post pictures once I installed
Self contain 13’ hose & nozzle with battery leads & clamps
I don’t care bout expense as I pontoon to relax
I pulled into a credit card gas dock before After midnight and when open the gas cap it was sucking air
I’ve installed side shift thrusters on bow & outboard much needed when you have the full camper enclosure on
And have the new Sharrow prop haven’t installed yet
And looking into adding the HydroFin hydrofoil and a low price 18” radar dome jus for safe navigation at night which we do a lot
And filling in the front bow area with cushions to make a bed for occasional overnight stays onboard as we make weekend trips always with our two labs and can’t always find last minute pet friendly accommodations

Attachments

• 6BBCCFAB-C985-4790-91DE-D7CD183198DA.png
    6BBCCFAB-C985-4790-91DE-D7CD183198DA.png
    434.8 KB · Views: 6
I forgot to say best investment so far is the full camper top it has double our pontoon season & comfort
And will use pontoon as camper once filler cushions installed
As the layout is the one with a sink and bar countertop and hav grill & toilet
Ah now thinking one of those outdoor TV’s I can pull off my deck
Jus throw on a power converter

This sounds like the makings of a Great Loop tripper! Would love to hear more details about the camper top (max speed, fuel efficiency, how it attaches and storage) and when you get around to it your experience with the Sharrow Prop. On the latter I have yet to see a real world testimonial as up to this point it's only been a string of Boat Test reviews.

Thanks!

Will the weight of the fully loaded auxiliary fuel tank be a factor in addition to the original gas tank and that big old engine hanging off the back?!? Curious?!? It's got to add about 400 lbs!

Will the weight of the fully loaded auxiliary fuel tank be a factor in addition to the original gas tank and that big old engine hanging off the back?!? Curious?!? It's got to add about 400 lbs!
In my case, we carried three of these 14-gallon gas caddies for a Lake Powell trip. Needed the extra fuel due to the removal of Dangling Rope Marina at mid-lake. Even though they are advertised as 14-gallon, they held about 13 gallons each, and if we just left them standing up, which is what we will do next time, you can get about 12 gallons in.

So even when they were all full, it was about 250 extra pounds on the back. And of course, we emptied them into the 55-gallon stock fuel tank as soon as there was room. So, for most of the trip, only one can was full. So really not much of a weight factor for us, but also a smaller motor in my case.

I do like the idea of one large container for fuel, but these are so much more compact, and since they are shaped long and skinny, they are completely out of the way on the back deck. That 58-gallon aux tank would be nice, but since it would take up the whole walkway on the back, it wouldn't work for me.

thumbnail_IMG_0109.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0119.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0276.jpg

In my case, we carried three of these 14-gallon gas caddies for a Lake Powell trip. Needed the extra fuel due to the removal of Dangling Rope Marina at mid-lake. Even though they are advertised as 14-gallon, they held about 13 gallons each, and if we just left them standing up, which is what we will do next time, you can get about 12 gallons in.

So even when they were all full, it was about 250 extra pounds on the back. And of course, we emptied them into the 55-gallon stock fuel tank as soon as there was room. So, for most of the trip, only one can was full. So really not much of a weight factor for us, but also a smaller motor in my case.

I do like the idea of one large container for fuel, but these are so much more compact, and since they are shaped long and skinny, they are completely out of the way on the back deck. That 58-gallon aux tank would be nice, but since it would take up the whole walkway on the back, it wouldn't work for me.

View attachment 33584View attachment 33586View attachment 33587
My tank is on my stern at topside underneath live well. I have read you have to have this tank higher than gastank portal. did You have to do that? I want to use 1 of these tanks but am hesitant cuz I’d have to lift up onto live well and that would get old real fast.

Attachments

• C814F1AD-349D-4F7E-9603-9F147DA1686A.png
    C814F1AD-349D-4F7E-9603-9F147DA1686A.png
    702.5 KB · Views: 15
I’ll be putting the Sharrow prop in tis weekend
Had a issue with the spline they sent it with a 15 and had to ship out a 17 spline insert
Hopefully the investment plans out with substantial performance improvement

Hoping to hear a follow up on the Sharrow prop... :)

and the hydrofin if you ever got that far... inquiring minds want to know! (I know this was an old post, but fingers crossed here...)

Hoping to hear a follow up on the Sharrow prop... :)

and the hydrofin if you ever got that far... inquiring minds want to know! (I know this was an old post, but fingers crossed here...)
FYI: I think they are a northern boating member like some of us. Since they said they were going to do and it was already late Oct, they may have done it going into winter storage. They haven’t been on the forum since that last Oct post. Might not be until this summer when they get a chance to try it out (if they did any of it).

That said, I’ll be curious to hear from them about either or both features as well.

FYI: I think they are a northern boating member like some of us. Since they said they were going to do and it was already late Oct, they may have done it going into winter storage. They haven’t been on the forum since that last Oct post. Might not be until this summer when they get a chance to try it out (if they did any of it).

That said, I’ll be curious to hear from them about either or both features as well.

makes sense, didn't want to presume... :)

This is the time of year I ask for Lake Erie to go away... keeps us 5-10 degrees colder than 30 min south of me where my boat is, thankfully...

This is the time of year I ask for Lake Erie to go away...
Any luck with that? The minute it disappears, people are going to be looking your way. :D

Back