Bad connection

KC24

Reaction score
Ok , Im looking for advise as to where to look for a problem with starting my 2013 150 Yamaha. I replaced the entire key switch and that didnt fix it. What happens is it will start just fine 10 times then it doesnt do anything. No clicking no nothing. I cant see anything out of place. Any suggestions where to look and at what. starter wires are clean and tight. Thanks in advance

Could it be the starter itself ? I had a tractor that did the same thing.

Exactly 10 times? And is this in a row, as in you're draining your cranking battery? Need a few more details...

BTW for general boat and outboard knowledge The Hull Truth is a great resource so check them out/search or pose the question to that group.

Exactly 10 times? And is this in a row, as in you're draining your cranking battery? Need a few more details...

BTW for general boat and outboard knowledge The Hull Truth is a great resource so check them out/search or pose the question to that group.
10 times is a guess. It doesnt drain the battery, it doesnt effect battery at all.

Does it finally start after repeated attempts? Anyway, when it does not start check for voltage at the starter solenoid (not just the starting motor). Don't know where it is on your motor. IF no voltage from the key circuit, it's a bad connection (could be a fractured, but not burned fuse). IF key voltage is present, the problem is more likely a sticky/faulty solenoid.

For our motor, the safety cutout circuit allows the starter to operate, but does not allow the motor to run. Yours may be different? Anyway be sure the safety switch is firmly in the right position. You would not be the first to have a problem with that....

Back