Bad Weld/Leaking Toon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Hello All, I am new to the Pontoon world, but been looking forward to owning one for some time now. We took delivery on a 2022 24LXSBA on July 1st. The dealer has been exceptional throughout the whole experience. We did a water test at the dealer on the day of delivery and I noticed a lot of water running from the port side toon. I didn't think much of it. I brought it straight to the lake and launched for some break in and weekend of cruising with the family. I never put it back on the trailer until Sunday, July 4th at about dark. The next morning I went outside to pack up and head home when I noticed water still dripping from the front of the port toon. I immediately knew something wasn't right. Upon closer inspection I noticed a cracked weld at the nose cone. I took a video and sent it to my dealer. They contacted Bennington and the toon will be replaced. I did some additional inspection once I arrived home and found it to be much worse than just a crack. It appears the weld may have been too hot and weakened the metal around the weld as it completely failed. My question is has anyone else seen this or experienced this? Should this have been caught by QC before it left the factory? After looking over the other welds there are a few that look like an amateur welded some of these. Just looking for thoughts. I do love the boat and over all I am very satisfied. Just a little disappointed.

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 67
Hi,
We bought a 2021 Bennington tr-toon and we only had 23 hours on it ( put it in the water on May 1, 2021) and we noticed it was listing to the right. We brought it back to the dealer and they found a bad weld on the inner seam. They had to re-weld it!! Is this the quality that Bennington is turning out now???? I am not sure if we will even keep the boat at the end of the season. VERY disappointed with Bennington. Where is their quality control????
Good luck with your boat!

Welcome to the family! She's definitely a beauty! Generally speaking, this problem does crop up from time to time and at least to me, not totally unexpected, given the nature of the beast (welding aluminum). That said, I can appreciate your disappointment particularly when you pay that much for a boat. However, it looks like Bennington is stepping up to the plate with a replacement so that's got to be reassuring. Hopefully you can get a temporary weld to hold you over until that happens.

Yes it's very frustrating when they shut down threads that they deem negative to their products, everyone on here has paid a premium to own the product and we should be able to discuss whatever topic to our liking. Without us there would be no company or forum.

Hi,
We bought a 2021 Bennington tr-toon and we only had 23 hours on it ( put it in the water on May 1, 2021) and we noticed it was listing to the right. We brought it back to the dealer and they found a bad weld on the inner seam. They had to re-weld it!! Is this the quality that Bennington is turning out now???? I am not sure if we will even keep the boat at the end of the season. VERY disappointed with Bennington. Where is their quality control????
Good luck with your boat!
Yes, this is what you can expect from every manufacturer of every thing right now, people are just trying to find a warm body to fill a hole, they probably could stick with only quality employees and cut production in half and you would get your boat this time next year, so some products slip through that aren't up to their standards or our expectations.

Will the dealer fix it temporarily so you can enjoy your boat for the rest of the season and then have it replaced in the off season?!?

Will the dealer fix it temporarily so you can enjoy your boat for the rest of the season and then have it replaced in the off season?!?
I covered it in JB Weld and it looks like it will hold up for now. They are telling me 5 - 6 weeks. I live in Southwest Louisiana so there is no "season", but they said use it with no worries and they will call me when it arrives.

I was just about to tell you to put some JB weld on it and enjoy the rest of the summer. In a couple of months, you can take it to the dealer and have them re-weld it. Sounds like you already have it covered.

I've JB welded small holes, similar to yours on a aluminum bass boat and its been leak free for the last three years.

I know it sucks though having issues with a brand new boat. I'm still waiting on my boat to arrive that I purchased in early March. I feel like Bennington could have done a much better job keeping buyers informed on the status of their builds. Everytime I ask the dealer I feel like I get a different answer.

I also think that closing threads like this is disappointing.

What was important to me before I purchased my Bennington was the 10 year warranty and the positive forum comments on Bennington backing their product.
I am confident my dealer will take care of any warranty issues.

Last edited:
I know this past winter and spring they were advertising welding positions as they tried to expand production. Could be related to a “newer’ welder? I don’t know squat about welding, but everything I hear about aluminum welding is that it is fickle and tricky.

That said, I had some less than stellar welds along portions of my inner port side foils on my 2017 Bennington. Didn’t give way until our 4th year on the water with it. They covered the welding repair work under warranty, and we finished off last year with it running like new.

Frustrating to have an issue like this out of the gate, but hopefully once repaired you will be happy with it.

BTW…you have a very sharp looking boat.

Great looking boat. I have a 2021 and I‘m up to about 5-6 warranty issues at last count. No leaking toons however. Better luck in the future.

This thread is now closed
Here is a link to the terms that must be agreed to when becoming a member of the Bennington Forum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back