Battery Compartment

GregF

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a long time sailor and new to the pontoon world. I purchased a 2007 1850 FS a few months ago and I have concerns about where the battery is located. It is just sitting in a small cubby hole just in front of the motor. There is no access to that area from inside the boat and if it needed to be replaced while the boat is on the water in a slip, it would be impossible to get to. In fact, it is difficult to get to even on the trailer. Is this where it is supposed to be?

1634752312026.png

My 2001 Benny had the battery there. It was easily accessible if you lifted the sunpad.

The sunpad would not stay up on its own so it was difficult to do anything in there without someone holding the sunpad up for me. So I cut about 4 feet of the strap off of a junk ski vest and put a female snap on one end. Screwed a male snap to the underside of the sunpad. Then I tied the other end of the strap to the loop attached to the seat closest to the sunpad. When I needed the sunpad up, I snapped the strap to the underside. The weight of the seat counter balances the weight of the sunpad.

Took longer to post this than it took to make the thing.

Thanks sunedog, that's an excellent resolution. I have lots of extra junk lying around that I can use to do the same thing. Hopepfully I will never need to remove the battery on the water. At 63 years old, climbing into that area on the water to lift a block of lead doesn't should like much fun. LOL!

My strap idea hit me (pun intended!) after my then 8 year old son who was helping me accidentally dropped the sunpad and it conked me on the head. "Sorry Daddy!" I remember it like it was yesterday. He's a senior at the College of Charleston now. How time flies!

Back