Battery Died

ErinnDan

Reaction score
How long should a 12 volt battery last while drifting with the lights and stereo on? Just curious as my main battery died last night while fishing. Good thing I had my trolling motor battery to fall back on.

That depends, batteries are rated in amps per hour, so, for example, an ac delco car battery rated for 730 cca claims to be able to run a 70 amp load for 20 hours. (i doubt that)

It depends on what your battery is rated for, and how much amperage per hour you equipment uses.

You could test your useage with a d-c amp meter, with all your accessories turned on and see what your amp draw is, and you need to check the battery to see what it is rated for.

Some folks install a second battery and switch, some just carry a portable jump box on board, either way they have a backup.

I sit for hours, but also have a voltage alarm on my fishfinder set for, I believe 12.2 volts. Might be 12.4, but typically I never have to fire the motor up. You might see if yours has this to at least warn you ahead next time. I do have a jump box under helm just in case. If you have LEDs, they should not have a huge draw, nor should radio if no special stuff hooked up. With a 2013, I would think the dealer put in a decent battery. I would believe you should get at least 4 hours minimum, probably lots more ?? Just my 2 cents.

I also keep a battery jumper box on board........but you have to keep it fully charged by plugging it in now and then. I helped a couple at the ramp one day w/a dead battery and it struggled to jump it. So every couple weeks or so I'll bring it home and charge it fully.....

Thanks guys, I've got a nice marine jump box on the way.

Back