Battery Disconnect doesn’t turn off power to motor.

Hartwell Ski

Reaction score
Just picked up our new 22lfb with a 200 Merc on Friday and are really enjoying it so far.

I have a single battery with a main disconnect switch under the aft seat by the battery but turning it off does not cut the power to the motor. I assume this is a wiring mistake.

it does turn off the helm devices just like the dash switch but still allows the motor to be started so it is not really a main power shutoff and does not do me any good as is. I have owned a several other boats (not bennington) and the main power switch always disconnected everything. Any thoughts?

thanks.

I will recheck mine, but I believe the switch kills the motor too. I have the same furniture configuration as yours a a 200 hp Yamaha. I also have the batteries on both port and starboard side under the rear seats

You are correct, battery switches commonly kill all power including starting power (except to separately fused items like auto-bilge pumps and some trim systems, if you have those). I recently added a disconnect switch at the helm that kills power to all helm switches, but does not interfere with any motor operations. That was intentional as our helm rocker switches can easily be tripped on by even a little wind across the helm cover. The location of the switch I installed is more convenient than yours, but the setup may have been intentional for similar reasons including allowing the electronics in the motor to be in the sleep rather than dead mode.

Back