Battery Life

ErinnDan

Reaction score
How long should a marine cranking battery last? Just wondering as I had to replace mine today after just 2 seasons. I've been using Interstate batteries, is there a better brand I should consider? Thanks in advance.

Erinndan.......my Interstate cranking battery Group 24 800 CCA 1000 MCA lasted 10 seasons. I just had it tested and the CCAs tested less than half so I just replaced it with an AC Delco Voyager Marine battery with the same parameters.....

Yours should have lasted longer than that. I kept mine in a utility room and religiously charged it up every 30 days in the off season.....

If you let it sit for a long time with little charge then that could do it, especially in the cold and if it freezes for sure

Interstate is a good battery, you should have gotten most of your money back on warranty. As BK mentioned, keep it on a trickle charger during the off season.

LoL

You got your info 

10 Years That Is Impressive

IMG_4403-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I will definitely store this one at home instead of the marina next winter.

A little expensive, but I run Odyssey AGM's in all my vehicles (and boats). I pulled out the interstates before my new boat hit the water and replaced them with two 34M / PC1500's. I run on boards chargers / tenders, but AGM's can sit for months and not lose a charge. They also operate very well in extreme temps.

Similar response to ∆∆∆. I have my OEM Interstates in until they die, and always replace all OEM batteries with Optima batteries. Blue top/dark grey case for starting battery and blue top light gray case for house batteries. If you are one to put in an extreme sound system, then yellow top Optima is the battery for that application. They cost double but last 3-4 times as long.

On my old boat the Interstate battery lasted 9 years. I replaced last season just before I traded and got the new Benny. I do keep a solar trickle charger on mine. I have used the solar charger for about 6 years now and it works very good.

Odyssey AGM's are definitely an upper level battery. I use Northstar TPPL batteries. A fully charged battery can sit for two years without ever needing a charge. I hate Optima's, had way too many issues in my younger car stereo years. Will never own one again. I like AGM batteries. They give you a higher discharge level without hurting the cycle rates of the battery.

I should restate my comment, a fully charged Northstar battery can sit for two years. Didn't want that line to confuse anyone.

I just got tired of the whole battery thing so I mounted two 4x8 solar panels on top of my bimini. It was a bit of a pain to get the autodirectional system set up but it's pretty cool to watch the panesl self adjust to get the optimal sunlight. My wife really likes it as it makes a good tanning bed as well. I've been looking into the new electric outboard motors to see if I can also eliminate my fuel expense. I just havn't found one yet that puts out the HP that my 250 SHO does. Thinking of adding another panel as we have to unplug the freezer to run the blender. Really have to be conscious of sunset though, we got to drinking last week and before we knew it, it was dark!!!  Had to get towed back to the shore :(

Back