Belt-pack life vest

kaydano

Reaction score
I see these are $100, more or less. Any advice on what to get? Brand-wise? Model?

I don't see myself wearing a regular life vest unless I knew I was going to be in crash that day. (That was a joke. I wouldn't actually go out if I knew I was going to be in a wreck.)

Figure I'm more likely to actually wear one of these. I'd probably be glad I had it on if I ever had to jump in after one of the kids or something.

Just curious if anyone has comments.

I keep a few xxl & a couple child 50# or less under the seats, but Overtons has nice 4 paks of universal jackets on sale for $ 39.99. FREE shipping. #14691. Bright yellow in a vented plastic pack. Have two of these I throw down,(sort neatly) in my in-floor storage just to meet the 16 capacity requirement in case the ODNR arrives. Enough jackets for eight fairly inexpensively. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were in an accident, thrown from the boat, or needed the floatation ASAP having a jacket your not wearing is not going to help :) I think the spirit of the question was, I won't wear one of those vest jackets I would wear a "belt" flotation, which is best.

So, while I have not used a "belt" style (not sure if you mean around your waist or the style that goes around your neck) and uses c02 to inflate. Not sure how a belt float would keep your head and neck above water. I have used the neck style when I was fishing in a bass boat that did 60mph, they are very small, very comforitable. Never had the experience of being thrown in the water to use it.

I keep a few xxl & a couple child 50# or less under the seats, but Overtons has nice 4 paks of universal jackets on sale for $ 39.99. FREE shipping. #14691. Bright yellow in a vented plastic pack. Have two of these I throw down,(sort neatly) in my in-floor storage just to meet the 16 capacity requirement in case the ODNR arrives. Enough jackets for eight fairly inexpensively. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking for the kind that attaches around your waist, and looks like a fanny pack. It's CO2 inflated when you get wet or pull the cord.

Cool, this thing looks like it will jump by magic around your neck when you are in the unconscious state. In other words I don't think it's worth anything. Get a real one that inflate correctly to keep your head afloat without any intervention.

Back