Best Fabric Mildew Remover anyone ??

bjgill17

Reaction score
Even tho we keep our pontoon under a carport and clean it thoroughly after every use, due to our HUMID, HUMID HUMID climate in South East Texas, Mildew seems to come out of NO WHERE on your Bimini, Bimini cover and curtain in our storage/changing room area. Our boat is only a year old and we completely LOVE IT. Please, Please does anyone have actual experience with and can recommend using a mildew stain REMOVER and then mildew block that does not hurt other parts of the boat. We even have green stain on our CARPET :( Definitely NOT THE Boat's fault...it is from where we live

Even tho we keep our pontoon under a carport and clean it thoroughly after every use, due to our HUMID, HUMID HUMID climate in South East Texas, Mildew seems to come out of NO WHERE on your Bimini, Bimini cover and curtain in our storage/changing room area. Our boat is only a year old and we completely LOVE IT. Please, Please does anyone have actual experience with and can recommend using a mildew stain REMOVER and then mildew block that does not hurt other parts of the boat. We even have green stain on our CARPET :( Definitely NOT THE Boat's fault...it is from where we live
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Mildew-Block-fl-Ounce/dp/B000BEXWVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343660260&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+mildew. I have not used it but saw it at the boat dealer. I think it would be worth a try. 3M also sells a mildew remover

Last edited by a moderator:
If you keep the boat in a carport, then it should be easy to put a box fan in there (under the cover) for ventilation. Also keep the gates open.

If you keep the boat in a carport, then it should be easy to put a box fan in there (under the cover) for ventilation. Also keep the gates open.
It is terribly humid in Tennessee also and I have seen several people in both public and private marinas with the doors open and box fans going. I haven't had mildew, but have started leaving the gates open to facilitate drying.

Royo

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Mildew-Block-fl-Ounce/dp/B000BEXWVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343660260&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+mildew. I have not used it but saw it at the boat dealer. I think it would be worth a try. 3M also sells a mildew remover
I did use this product just this weekend after I tried to thoroughly clean the bimini cover but it did not remove the mildew stain. That is why I am looking for the remover...I quess the 3m remover was not right there at the boat supply store when I bought the 3m block

The carport is not totally enclosed so the boat is protected from rain and has plenty of airflow thru it ..We have used fans to dry the carpet and such but just the condensation from the air here is unbelievable I am sorry to say.

It is terribly humid in Tennessee also and I have seen several people in both public and private marinas with the doors open and box fans going. I haven't had mildew, but have started leaving the gates open to facilitate drying.

Royo
lol,,,, Oh MY Goodness, Just for the info, I googled "TOP MOST HUMID CITIES IN THE U.S."..Texas has 24 OUT OF THE TOP 35 cities with the highest humidity ANNUAL AVERAGE. Where WE Live is by EAST JEFFERSON, PORT ARTHUR AND BEAUMONT TX. These three cities came in #2 and #3 AND #4 ugh UGH...with an average annual amount of over 79% humidity.

Tenn did not have a city that made the top 101 cities...

I did use this product just this weekend after I trid to thoroughly clean the bimini cover but it did not remove the mildew stain. That is why I am looking for the remover...I quess the 3m remover was not right there at the boat supply store when I bought the 3m block
Let us know if the block works. Is it like a paint or a liquid that the material absorbs.

Let us know if the block works. Is it like a paint or a liquid that the material absorbs.
It is a spray on that soaks into the fabric. I washed the cover then draped it over a tall ladder so I could evenly spray the fabric. It was a sunny day yesterday so it dried well before I repositioned it on the boat...

I will let you know for sure :) on its benefit of "no more" mildew progression.

The carport is not totally enclosed so the boat is protected from rain and has plenty of airflow thru it ..We have used fans to dry the carpet and such but just the condensation from the air here is unbelievable I am sorry to say.
That's te idea of the fan, but you have to keep it on 24/7.

I want to add to my post that I have now tried a little "regular" Dawn dish soap and a little white vinegar in water on the green stains that were on part of our carpet from staying moist due to our EXTREME humidity in this area (even after we had fans on it). IT WORKED, :) ) YEA..with a little elbow grease the green stain came up !!!!

Back