Bilge Pump

Wernminator

Reaction score
I have a 2275RCW and it has a little floor flap at the rear where you can see the gas tank and bilge pump (Rule-Mate 1100GPH). On the console is a toggle which when switched down, switches on the pump continuously. When switched to middle, it is off. When switched up.... I have no idea what it does - thinking it is on automatic. I never got any documentation on my specific toggle switches with the boat as all the pictures and documents seem to relate to a different spec. I am pretty sure I have the Bennington gauge package. My question is.... does the up toggle put the bilge pump in automatic mode and if so, will it drain the battery if I leave it on when docked?

I believe the switch up is when the float reaches certain level, it will run. Just like your sump pump at home. It's a automatic setting.

It should not drain the battery, it's not pulling any power till the "float switch" activates it.

Yes, it sounds like you have an automatic switch built into your bilge pump. When the switch is in the up position it will only operate when there is enough water to float the internal switch. Just as a test, put the switch in the upper position and pour some water around the pump (maybe 1/2 gallon) your pump should start by itself to drain the water.

As for draining the battery, as said before there is no power drain until the pump actually runs. I would recommend leaving the pump on automatic while docked. That way the pump can get rid of any heavy rains that might happen to flood the compartment.

How about when you have a bilge switch on a two toon 2550 rcw? I see no bilge on the boat?

It might be a spare switch. We had one on our 2007 that I used for the power steering.

Rotfl, go under the helm and see if any wires are connected to it. If not, that would make a great place for aux equipment.

Todd

Wernminator, if you have the 29-RM1100A, then it is a fully automatic bilge pump.

29-rm500a.jpg

When you have your switch on Auto opposed to manual, the pump has an integral sensor that acts a float switch by electrical resistance (or some such), basically when water level around the pump reaches a height of almost 3" the pump will turn on pump out the water until only 1/2 - 1" remains, and then go standby again. Another interesting feature of this pump is that it is selective, if the 'dielectric constant' of the fluid surrounding the pump is other than that of water (say a water/oil mix) it will not turn on and pump the mix into our waterways. So, be sure and keep your bilge area clean!

Ronfl,

Always nice to have a spare three position switch! For the sake of sanity, you should be able to remove the silkscreened 'BILGE' label with a mild abrasive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. I'll run that water test this weekend!

Back