Bimini Top Question

Dave Tampa

Reaction score
On my 22SSBXP toon, the bimini top frame is comprised of four crossbars, with the top's four zippered sleeves attached to each one. The cover and frame are fully functional, but the third crossbar from the front seems to slack forward, and not remain taut, and that portion of the bimini sags a bit. Again, the frame is fine, and my issue causes no operational problem, but I would think this sagging is not what I should be experiencing. I know on the sides of the front crossbar there is a tensioner to help keep the frame and cover taut, I suppose I'd like something similar on the third crossbar. Hope that makes sense...has anyone experienced anything similar?

On my 22SSBXP toon, the bimini top frame is comprised of four crossbars, with the top's four zippered sleeves attached to each one. The cover and frame are fully functional, but the third crossbar from the front seems to slack forward, and not remain taut, and that portion of the bimini sags a bit. Again, the frame is fine, and my issue causes no operational problem, but I would think this sagging is not what I should be experiencing. I know on the sides of the front crossbar there is a tensioner to help keep the frame and cover taut, I suppose I'd like something similar on the third crossbar. Hope that makes sense...has anyone experienced anything similar?
have you tried adjusting the forward most upright struts, that connects to the fence when the Bimini is open? You can loosen the thumbscrews Attached to the Bimini frame and move the front of the Bimini frame forward further to stretch the Bimini fabric, then re tighten the thumbscrews.

How about a photo???

have you tried adjusting the forward most upright struts, that connects to the fence when the Bimini is open? You can loosen the thumbscrews Attached to the Bimini frame and move the front of the Bimini frame forward further to stretch the Bimini fabric, then re tighten the thumbscrews.
I believe I did adjust those struts, that’s the only adjustable part of the Bimini frame if not mistaken. Will check again....also, going out on boat today, I’ll share a video of my issue. Many thanks for sharing your input!

Tried that, to no avail...

My guess would be that the entire Bimini top system is not as tight as it should be. As I viewed the video I noticed that the Forward Arm appeared to be curved backwards slightly which would cause the system to be less tight.

......maybe the fabric has stretched so the distance between front and second bow has changed? If the brackets that the second bow pivots on (attached to long front bow support arms) were lowered some on each side it would make bow #2 lift canvas upward instead of just hang there and flop. Brackets are either bolted or riveted so it would need to be unattached by unbolting or drilling out rivet and then experimenting with a lower pivot position for bow #2 equal on each side. Then drill new holes and reattach brackets. Verify proper folding of entire top, etc. May need to readjust knobs after for tension of entire bimini canvas. Just my thoughts so maybe verify before trying with a marine upholstery shop that see bimini issues like this. Don't want to give bad advice.:cool::p

I'll play around with it, and I appreciate the advice. Sure does appear there is an issue, maybe small, maybe not, anyway all the comments helped! I'm due for a new bimini anyway, likely going Sunbrella, which I did for the overall boat cover, and when I swap out I'll definitely make changes to the frame as needed. BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand! hahaha

I think you need to adjust this arm further up the main which should tighten up the rear section. Your effectively shortening that arm as it goes forward.

6E3454B0-644A-484B-8C23-0EB64D024D51.jpeg

I think you need to adjust this arm further up the main which should tighten up the rear section. Your effectively shortening that arm as it goes forward.

View attachment 26767
to add to that, it’s easier to move that arm further up when it’s not attached to the rail, then you can pull down on the arm some to get more stretch.

Adjusting the Bimini by sliding the support brackets around is voodoo second only to prop selection. Each move affects the whole thing, not just the area you think it does. Seek help from a dealer or maybe youtube?

Visited a Benny dealer, not where I bought the boat, but local in Tampa. Apparently there is a strap to tighten that third cross beam towards the stern, and wasn't included in original purchase. Guess where next phone call is? LOL thanks for all the support!

Simple strap with plastic buckle from Amazon $9 did the trick...actually needed two straps connected, but they come 4 to a pack, anyway. Waiting for my dealer to get back to me on the OEM strap, not holding my breath...

Attachments

• 10783ED5-3A80-4819-B247-44EEDFACEFE8.jpeg
    10783ED5-3A80-4819-B247-44EEDFACEFE8.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 34
Back