Bimini Treatment

jcr159

Reaction score
Cleaned the bimini cover... I need to treat/protect it.

other than camping waterproofing products, is there a better product I should be using? I suppose I should do the mooring cover soon too...

thanks!

Do an earth in the upper right hand corner. There have been a handful of posts on this topic. I went with the 303 protectant mentioned above based on some earlier posts, but I know this past year some were saying that they liked another product a little more. I think that is the Star Bright, also mentioned above.

Last edited:
Use StarBrite waterproofing liquid. Proven to work better in side by side testing than 303. Do a search on here, and you will find a video somewhere.

thanks everyone... i had known about 303, but couldn't find the alternative.

must've been starbrite.

Is there any other maintenance I should be doing other than cleaning and waterproofing on the covers?

When I had carpet ,I did the Carpet ,boot, bimini and cover . I don't know what flooring you have but dont use it on the vinyl flooring.

The 303 does cost less in the winter .

Use StarBrite waterproofing liquid. Proven to work better in side by side testing than 303. Do a search on here, and you will find a video somewhere.
This is consistent with my findings - When new I sprayed half with the 303 and half with the StarBright - the Starbright beaded better and lasted longer.

thanks everyone... i had known about 303, but couldn't find the alternative.

must've been starbrite.

Is there any other maintenance I should be doing other than cleaning and waterproofing on the covers?
I lost a few of the Bimini Frame "bolts" this last year and found my engine was 1/8th of an inch off the transom. I has the dealer double nut my engine bolts, and I now go through all the bolts and nuts and screws I can find and tighten them up - amazing how many of them were loose!

I dont know . Here is the link for Star Bright Support and phone number 800 327 8583

On Jack's advice, I reached out to StarBrite.

short answer, the regular products are solvent based, and the "waterproofing" products are water based. Basically pick the one that works for the surface you are protecting...

Full response below:

Starbrite Customer Care <care@starbrite.com>​

8:55 AM (41 minutes ago)
to me
Hello,

The difference in the two Waterproofing solutions are the solvent that they use. One is a petroleum based and one is going to be a water base, it would all depend on the fabric you are applying it to.

Star brite Waterproofing is compatible with most quality outdoor fabrics including; nylon, canvas, finished leather, and acrylics. However, some economy materials like polyester and urethane-backed fabrics are not compatible with most solvents, so please check the material before use. Also note that solvent-based products can affect the adhesive glue used on some carpeting, and can further depreciate heavily sun damaged fabric. Star brite offers a solvent-free formula, 'Water-Based Waterproofing' as an odorless alternative.

Another first hand report -- used 303 Fabric Guard on most of my mooring cover. Ran out and finished the job with Starbrite (solvent version, I believe). Side by side, the Starbrite outperformed the 303.

On Jack's advice, I reached out to StarBrite.

short answer, the regular products are solvent based, and the "waterproofing" products are water based. Basically pick the one that works for the surface you are protecting...

Full response below:

Starbrite Customer Care <care@starbrite.com>​

8:55 AM (41 minutes ago)
to me
Hello,

The difference in the two Waterproofing solutions are the solvent that they use. One is a petroleum based and one is going to be a water base, it would all depend on the fabric you are applying it to.

Star brite Waterproofing is compatible with most quality outdoor fabrics including; nylon, canvas, finished leather, and acrylics. However, some economy materials like polyester and urethane-backed fabrics are not compatible with most solvents, so please check the material before use. Also note that solvent-based products can affect the adhesive glue used on some carpeting, and can further depreciate heavily sun damaged fabric. Star brite offers a solvent-free formula, 'Water-Based Waterproofing' as an odorless alternative.
Not entirely correct. Like they said, BOTH products are waterproofing products, but one is water based. The water based product doesn't work as well. Thus, I recommend the original petroleum based product. That's what most of us on here use. I put a full gallon in a sprayer and coated my mooring cover heavy, then let it dry 8 hours. Water runs off it like it's scared. DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING WHILE IT'S ON YOUR BOAT !! Drape it across saw horses or ladders.

Not entirely correct. Like they said, BOTH products are waterproofing products, but one is water based. The water based product doesn't work as well. Thus, I recommend the original petroleum based product. That's what most of us on here use. I put a full gallon in a sprayer and coated my mooring cover heavy, then let it dry 8 hours. Water runs off it like it's scared. DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING WHILE IT'S ON YOUR BOAT !! Drape it across saw horses or ladders.
Hahaha! " Water runs off like it's scared"!!!

+1 for Starbrite! Used it for years!

Back