Blackout Vs Traditional finish

MrG

Reaction score
A friend Just bought a Demo Harris. It is 1 year old and has Black Anodized rails. Well his boat is 1 year old and the rails look 3 years old. I know black anodize Doesn't age well in the sun, as well as the water spots that turn white in the welded corners the white calcium that ended up in the pours welded sections seemed very hard to clean or get to Possabley some CLR could get to it but it made me think. 

What kind of extra maintenance or extra time does one have to devote when switching over to a black out or a boat with black rails or fencing. I know I spend quite a bit of time wiping down my rails they seem like the constantly need attention, and they are the traditional Aluminum with clear anodize I think they do a great job at hiding water spots 

anyone here that had a tradional finish on the rails that switchd over to the black rails? And if so what have you noticed 

We have a Q2572 saltwater tri-toon with the blackout package. It's over a year old and I can't see any evidence of fading or salt buildup. It is sprayed off with a pressure nozzle after each use.  It looks great and I would recommend it as it takes no more work than other colors

We have a Q2572 saltwater tri-toon with the blackout package. It's over a year old and I can't see any evidence of fading or salt buildup. It is sprayed off with a pressure nozzle after each use.  It looks great and I would recommend it as it takes no more work than other colors

Good to hear.  We have a Tritoon on order with the Blackout package.  Not going to lie, was getting nervous after reading Mr.G's post that maybe we made a bad decision.  Anyone else have any long term experience with the Blackout package that can comment about it?

Two tests

1. You wanna maintain the boat or enjoy the boat? It's not about who's got the meanest looking thing out there, it's about are you out there or in the marina repairing.

2. Does Bennington warranty the coating AGAINST EVERYTHING INCLUDING SUN DAMAGE. If not don't do it.

Simple is better. Vinyl floor, no perm cup holders, no powder coating, no stereo, no high end seating with depressions, pleats, rolls etc.

Simple is better .... if that's what you prefer. If I wanted bare bones, no frill, I could go to Bass Pro. Me personally, I do want the meanest, coolest, luxurious, with a sweet sound system, and a place for a cup at every corner that my budget allows. That's like saying why get a 250 if a 115 will do. Personal choice. Then again, I've never been the practical type. But I guarantee if I drop over dead tomorrow, I enjoyed every minute. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple is better .... if that's what you prefer. If I wanted bare bones, no frill, I could go to Bass Pro. Me personally, I do want the meanest, coolest, luxurious, with a sweet sound system, and a place for a cup at every corner that my budget allows. That's like saying why get a 250 if a 115 will do. Personal choice. Then again, I've never been the practical type. But I guarantee if I drop over dead tomorrow, I enjoyed every minute. 

Amen!

Different stroke's 

some people enjoy "light" cleaning I would put my self in that category.  I have a laundry list in my head of things to wipe down during a outting I would rather spend 10 mins cleaning then looking at mess or drips or what ever all day. 

But their comes a point when you gots to draw the line. Having your boat that's so maintenance heavy is no good either. 

I would say That the side fence
C61299BA-3C83-4910-B1D9-39147FA2A131_zps28zd2koe.jpg
rails on my boat need to me wiped down (during boating season) at least 1time a week. Takes about 10 mins. The front curved section of my Q needs to be wiped down each time out. 

Simple is better .... if that's what you prefer. If I wanted bare bones, no frill, I could go to Bass Pro. Me personally, I do want the meanest, coolest, luxurious, with a sweet sound system, and a place for a cup at every corner that my budget allows. That's like saying why get a 250 if a 115 will do. Personal choice. Then again, I've never been the practical type. But I guarantee if I drop over dead tomorrow, I enjoyed every minute.
Rock on Sister Hazel!

Back