Boat Cover Question

MivheleW

Reaction score
The Bennington cover comes down on the sides about 12”. Does rain come in under the bottom rail and/or doors onto the inside floor? Or is that all sealed.

I get rain on the floor with my cover. It comes in the sides, bottom of doors, and somehow thru my cover in certain areas. My cover is a 2019. I was informed that it is more of a dirt & sun damage prevention cover than a water prevention cover. Water gets on my seats and into the lockers. We have to be careful with what we keep in the storage areas. We don’t have a lift cover, so the pontoon cover is the only rain defense.

Thanks. I really appreciate knowing that. I’m in the process of sewing a full cover to snap down on all sides. We are in FL and really need something for heavy rain.

We get monsoons - so 1st year came back after a few weeks and found my center toon full of water - the rain hit the front deck and must have poured down the Benny into the hatch cover. Took the pump 10 minutes to get all the water out. Had the bilge pump wired directly to the batteries after after that.

I lived in AZ for 40 yrs.We sure did get the monsoons.I didn’t have a pontoon then. Here in FL it seems everyone has one. I don’t think we have a bilge,but I’m not familiar with our boat as yet. We just got it. From your experience, I think I need a full cover. Thanks.

The Bennington cover comes down on the sides about 12”. Does rain come in under the bottom rail and/or doors onto the inside floor? Or is that all sealed.

Rain can come in under the rails, but that also allows water to escape AND provides some ventilation. The cover is water resistant but not waterproof. I need to spray mine this year with protectant. That acts like wax on on a car and water beads and sheds off vs. soaking through.

I did put some backer rod (round foam for masonry filler) under the rail at the helm to keep water from entering the sides. Helped with keeping it drier under the helm.

Thanks! Our cover will be put on and off during our rainy season. I’m hoping no mold. The material is waterproof.

For me, the cover doesn't protect the front or rear deck either... a significant place for rain to hit and run across the whole deck, into the storage locker, etc.

as mentioned above... if you go for a "full" cover, make sure to work a ventilation plan into the thing, or you'll rot everything pretty quickly...

I'm actually working on a solar powered inline fan solution to force more air ventilation... trying to build a "post" for the storage locker that is made from PVC, and anchors on the bottom of the storage locker, and replaces the pole support at that location. the inline fan will blow the air out of the top, and pull fresh air into the locker. Solar power will keep it from killing my battery...

I'll post pics if i can get it working. Might need a 3D printer to make some adapters though.

I like you idea. Thanks!
We won’t be keeping the cover on long term. Hopefully, not much mold. We also have the poles and might rig up some vents.

I like you idea. Thanks!
We won’t be keeping the cover on long term. Hopefully, not much mold. We also have the poles and might rig up some vents.
Don't you guys have covers on your lift? My covered lift keeps my boat way drier and cleaner then the cover provided by Bennington. I just crank it up until the back has two inches from the top. 1680614925826.png

I don’t have a lift (just Ultra Legs). We had a lift with our last boat but still used a cover given birds and spiders. The lift cover did keep the boat dry and protected it better. Trade offs.

Don't you guys have covers on your lift? My covered lift keeps my boat way drier and cleaner then the cover provided by Bennington. I just crank it up until the back has two inches from the top. View attachment 34085
I must admit, I miss our former lift canopy in this regard. Cannot be protecting your boat with a canopy.

However, I don’t miss having to line up “parking” on the lift, or insuring we are between the lift canopy support arms. Since switching to Sea Legs, I too have been without a canopy. It is intentional though as they do make Sea Legs lift canopy structures you auger into the lakebed. However, I found it to be a PITA 80% of the time when docking on our particular lake with our original lift and canopy setup. That and the annual end of season canopy clean up from bird droppings was pretty ”crappy” to do.…:p

Last edited:
Just put a lift in. Where do I get that cover??
Every hoist manufacture should have a cover/canopy to mount to the hoist. I am guessing the mounting solutions are different between the manufactures. My hoist is a Shorestation.
1681142935564.png

Rain can come in under the rails, but that also allows water to escape AND provides some ventilation. The cover is water resistant but not waterproof. I need to spray mine this year with protectant. That acts like wax on on a car and water beads and sheds off vs. soaking through.

I did put some backer rod (round foam for masonry filler) under the rail at the helm to keep water from entering the sides. Helped with keeping it drier under the helm.
You mind posting your link for your method of folding and unfolding the cover? Now that my Benny is a marina boat, I need to get better with the cover. Issue I have is my slip is 13’ wide, which is great, but only leaves one side to really access the cover from the dock.

Thanks

Back