boat is submarining when I let off the power

martyhss

Reaction score
My boat has been behaving differently, when I reduce speed the front pontoons go down an water will wash over the deck.Its a Bennington 20'
Was set up with two fishing seats front and rear .and a couch and changing room just back from center.I pulled the two front seats, live well and storage at the front and added two couch type seats in the front.
The boat didn't submarine the first two years but now it does.
I am thinking of adding a 10' third pontoon,I believe they are plastic.what do you all think.

My boat has been behaving differently, when I reduce speed the front pontoons go down an water will wash over the deck.Its a Bennington 20'
Was set up with two fishing seats front and rear .and a couch and changing room just back from center.I pulled the two front seats, live well and storage at the front and added two couch type seats in the front.
I am thinking of adding a 10' third pontoon,I believe they are plastic.what do you all think.
I am a skeptic on adding plastic “3rd” pontoons, so I’ll stay out of that aspect of it. What concerns me is it sounds like your 20’ dual pontoon fishing model Bennington originally operated and perfomred normally, without submarining on you when letting off the throttle. And now it has changed and does do this. Is this correct?

I would want to get to the bottom of what’s causing this change and problem before modifying anything. Have you been able to inspected pontoons fully? Boat bottom? Any water in pontoons? Any changes to top side that displaced weight forward (actually sounds like you modified to reduce weight forward)? Has it been into a dealership to look over for a potential cause in its behavior If you have already done the above on your own?

I’ve never had such an issue, so hopefully some other members can give you good insights. Good luck!

Sounds like weight was added. He pulled the 2 Bow Fishing seats and replaced with " couches" . In a previous post, OP asked how to identify water in toons .

Ha! I had responded to that other post and didn’t make the connection. Should have looked first. And yes, after re-reading it does look like I mis-read the first time through. Looks like he did add weight with changes. That could do it I would imagine. If there is water in toons + added front weight, then perhaps even more likely.

To the OP…did you ever check for water in your pontoons following your other post?

What ever happened to ibecleve ? The sand bag man.
I think he does a lot of traveling and appearances trying to beat his Guinness World Record entry of "Tallest Sandcastle Built on a Moving Pontoon"

Water in your toons. When you slow down, all the water goes to the front and weighs in down.

Not if your leak is in the stern . On Bennington's the pontoons have baffle's .Mine has 3 sperate chambers in each toon
Water in your toons. When you slow down, all the water goes to the front and weighs in down.

Back