Boat Lift recommendations please

I've had a Hewitt Cantilever lift under my Mastercraft ski boat for about 10 years now.  Well built.  Cable crank or motor is slow.   If I did it again I'd go with a Hewitt Hydraulic.....

I've had a Hewitt Cantilever lift under my Mastercraft ski boat for about 10 years now.  Well built.  Cable crank or motor is slow.   If I did it again I'd go with a Hewitt Hydraulic.....

We had a Hewitt cantilever with direct drive motor on our Malibus for many years. It was very solid, easy and inexpensive to repair, parts readily available, and you can actually service it yourself. It served us very well.

Our next door neighbor has a Hewitt hydraulic cantilever lift for a very heavy Harris tri-toon with V8 I/O and 80g tank, and really wishes he'd bought a Shorestation hydraulic like ours. The rams stick out the front and the control box sits on the dock. His frame is also not as long or wide, though knowing Hewitt they're probably available. He may have just bought the wrong size, but it doesn't seem to be a good fit for their big boat.

I'm so glad this whole thread was here even though I don't think I'm going with any of your recommendations. It was a good and insightful read.

I'm currently working with a dealer to buy a used 6000# Pier Pleasure lift with a Lift Tech 12/24v Direct Drive motor for around $6000 before trade. He's offering me $1500 for my 2001 ShoreMaster 4000# cantilever hand-crank lift. No canopy on either lift. I actually prefer to cover my pontoon with the mooring cover because the family likes to lay around in the pontoon as if it's an extension of our dock.

The new lift looks really robust and it weights around 570lbs. I'm thinking about Smarte Jack wheels for it.

The new lift will support my new-used 2018 23GSB with a 150hp Evinrude G2. I'm looking forward to spring!

I have a covered lift in MI and it was great. I would still use the playpen cover under the canopy. I found it enjoyable to sit in the back of my boat in the rain, stay dry and still fish!

I have a covered lift in MI and it was great. I would still use the playpen cover under the canopy. I found it enjoyable to sit in the back of my boat in the rain, stay dry and still fish!

I like that idea of sitting under the cover in the rain! That's the first time I've actually thought "maybe I do need a canopy?". ...but naw. My wife loves hanging out in the pontoon at the dock and laying in the sun. There's room for her to lay on the dock, but we don't have soft chaise lounges on the dock! :)

Hello again! On the topic of boat lifts... specifically portable boat lifts in this case...

I'm about to purchase a Pier Pleasure 6000# lift with a Lift Tech direct drive 12/24v motor. On my former lift I had an electric motor (the type that just turns the wheel for you) and I ran it off the pontoon battery. It worked fine. Never had an issue with it running out of juice.

The dealer selling me the lift is telling me I shouldn't run this lift off of the boat battery and he's trying to sell me $1000 worth of external battery, solar panel, battery shelf, etc.

Is it worth it to have an extra battery to just run the lift? I'm sure this lift motor draws more power, but... that much more?

Either way I'm not paying $1000 for that setup. I'm confident I can find deals on all of the components online and save myself at least a couple hundred bucks. BUT!!! I'd like to have a better idea whether I'll regret not having a separate battery system just for the lift.

Thanks for any input!

Related question. We priced out a hoist for our 2018 25’10’ beam Bennington and were quoted over $12,000—- what are anyone’s experiences with attaching to a mooring buoy? We are only at our lake house 3-4 weeks per season. Slip space is $2000-3000 Boat would be on the hook only during those times. Obviously storms do come up. Would boat be safe with bow and stern fixation?
Thanks!

My in-laws R lives moored to a buoy the entire season in Michigan due to shallow water. It’s only hooked at the bow so it can rotate with wind direction. It’s only come loose once. I think you’d be fine.

I know I've seen this information in these forums, but I'm having trouble finding how far to space my bunks apart for a trailer and/or lift for a Bennington 23 GSB with the SPS package. Is 77" correct for the center of the outer tubes? It's nearing ice out in MN and I need to setup my new trailer and lift so I'm ready to pull and moor my new boat.

Thanks in advance! Sorry, I know I've seen documentation here and I just can't seem to locate it.

I know I've seen this information in these forums, but I'm having trouble finding how far to space my bunks apart for a trailer and/or lift for a Bennington 23 GSB with the SPS package. Is 77" correct for the center of the outer tubes? It's nearing ice out in MN and I need to setup my new trailer and lift so I'm ready to pull and moor my new boat.

Thanks in advance! Sorry, I know I've seen documentation here and I just can't seem to locate it.
Close... 6’6” (78”)

Close...77”
88101B9D-F1EC-4E28-BA1D-D25FA08D7467.jpeg55EF6048-8F44-4E7F-8F7F-9EF54ED18C77.jpeg

My bad, @lakeliving is right. I’m an engineer so I like to round. 6 1/2 feet is a lot easier to remember. Lol.

Attachments

• trailer specs 2018.pdf
    132.8 KB · Views: 13
...well , now i'm getting a boat hoist estimate for my 2018 10 foot beam RSB 25 at $19,000--$27,000.---insane. should have paid the 12K last year!
how complicated is it to re-engineer bunks that supported a 27-30 foot V hull fiberglass boat to one that would lift ours? those boats are commonly 9'6" beams so similar dimensions to ours

Back