Boating Season in Peril

Alicedream

Reaction score
9DC1ACF8-371A-46D5-8EEC-AED8401C1F64.jpeg 6A18EFEE-161E-476E-A5D3-C3623CB2C22A.jpeg Well, what a Spring it has been in Missouri. Worst I have ever seen for rain. We boat on Truman Lake. This is a flood control lake so floods are expected at times. In the 14 years we have boated here the floods happen but for the most part you can boat and 80% of the time the lake is just perfect. Not this year. At mid-week the lake will be at its all time high of 44 feet over normal! I never was able to put my boat in because it was raining all the time, which is a good thing. Every Marina on the lake is closed. It will take at least 4 weeks to get the water down for Marina’s to open. It will probably be longer as there is a lot of rain in the forecast. For those of you who don’t know me, I use my boat a lot in Spring and Summer. Average about 45 boat trips a year normally. I am depressed as you can imagine. I am going to look to take the boat to some other lakes until we can boat again on our lake. I added a couple pics. Notice the tree as this is a boat ramp near our house. Pics taken week a part. Lake will be rising another 4 feet if no more rain. The boat ramp is under 30 feet of water right now.

Last edited:
Hang in there. Hopefully it drains soon and quick

Wow, sure hate to hear that. Hope things work out for you.

I am at Pomona Lake , Ks. 4000+ acres at normal pool. We hit an all time high water level this weekend and are at 26 feet over normal. Melvern lake , 8000+ acres , is right down the road and it is at or near record levels too.

I believe our water heads towards Stockton Lake and not towards you at Truman. Not that it helps a ton! Our ramps are closed as well as lots of the campgrounds , marina , roads , swim beaches...etc.

I have not tried launching yet due to the.non stop rain and that pesky thing called a job , but will be attempting it sometime by next weekend! Ive only been out twice all year so far!

Heart goes out to you and everyone else’s impacted by flooding this year. Just horrible. My fingers are crossed you can still get in some time on other lakes, or eventually your normal one. Try to hang in there. Sending prayers and best wishes.

I am at Pomona Lake , Ks. 4000+ acres at normal pool. We hit an all time high water level this weekend and are at 26 feet over normal. Melvern lake , 8000+ acres , is right down the road and it is at or near record levels too.

I believe our water heads towards Stockton Lake and not towards you at Truman. Not that it helps a ton! Our ramps are closed as well as lots of the campgrounds , marina , roads , swim beaches...etc.

I have not tried launching yet due to the.non stop rain and that pesky thing called a job , but will be attempting it sometime by next weekend! Ive only been out twice all year so far!

Yes, a lot the flood water is coming at us from Kansas. Truman Lake is normally 55,000 acres. We are over 150,000 acres at this point. It is just amazing the amount of water. Sorry to hear about Kansas Lakes. We will get through this together,

Actually things in the area here arent too bad unless you want to go camping or plant corn or beans. Its a flood control reservoir just doing its job. I dont know how many acres the lake is at the moment but i do know from the Corps website that it is at about 110,000 acre ft of water stored at the moment. I cant imagine how much is at Truman if it is that full!

For those not familiar...an acre foot is one acre one foot deep and equals app. 326,000 gallons!

Are they able to let the water out? Are you on a chain of lakes?

Are they able to let the water out? Are you on a chain of lakes?

No, they have not been able to run the dam in over a week. The dam releases into the Osage River which feeds the lake of the ozarks. With the severe flooding all over the region they have held off on water release. The lake of the ozarks is not flooded because we are holding the water. They will probably start releasing later this week. Even if they were letting out water the lake would rise do to all the flooding in Kansas that is still flowing into our lake.

We had our flooding earlier this spring. The parking lot was 13' underwater. We hold back the Cumberland river that goes thru Nashville.

Our flooding season starts June 1st down here. Fingers crossed for a quiet season.

Thank you everyone. More rain today. Ugh.

My wife and I just got back from Lake Martin, and planning on pulling next month to Table Rock. Hopefully, it will be back close to normal. I feel for you, Ray.

Our reservoir has been kept at 2’ below full pool because of the giant salvinia. They have our neighborhood ramps closed, and the full public ramps get hectic. 2’ isn’t much on those COE lakes, but when your lake averages about 8 - 15’, it makes for some scary travels.

My wife and I just got back from Lake Martin, and planning on pulling next month to Table Rock. Hopefully, it will be back close to normal. I feel for you, Ray.

Our reservoir has been kept at 2’ below full pool because of the giant salvinia. They have our neighborhood ramps closed, and the full public ramps get hectic. 2’ isn’t much on those COE lakes, but when your lake averages about 8 - 15’, it makes for some scary travels.

Thank you Randy. The news here is just worse and worse. The rain just keeps on coming. The Army Corp of Engineers is saying with most of the Lakes in Missouri flooded and the river bringing inflow it could be months before our lake is usable. I am really lucky I was not able to put my boat in its slip because it would be stranded there with Marina's closed and electric off. By the way Table Rock looks good so your trip will be fine. You never know I may be down there with my boat. I live all year for 16 good weeks of boating and Mother Nature strikes!

Thank you Randy. The news here is just worse and worse. The rain just keeps on coming. The Army Corp of Engineers is saying with most of the Lakes in Missouri flooded and the river bringing inflow it could be months before our lake is usable. I am really lucky I was not able to put my boat in its slip because it would be stranded there with Marina's closed and electric off. By the way Table Rock looks good so your trip will be fine. You never know I may be down there with my boat. I live all year for 16 good weeks of boating and Mother Nature strikes!

Come on down to FL!! 52 weeks a year of boating!

And gators...

I’ve only seen 2 in the wild since we moved here a year and a half ago. And none by our place.

It’s the ones you DON’T see you have to worry about ... :confused::confused::confused:

Back