Brr! Keeping the logs clean.

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
It’s only been three weeks, but the pontoons and motor were starting to get a buildup of algae (I am required to keep the outboard down while in the slip at all times - narrow lanes). With 49 degree water, a thermal wetsuit was the only solution. Below the waterline is nice and clean now! Zoey even jumped in and played with me for a couple minutes.

Attachments

• BB931EC8-5F8E-4352-B43C-0D13962DC413.jpeg
    BB931EC8-5F8E-4352-B43C-0D13962DC413.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 79D69F0A-CE33-4C2E-B9E6-A3EAB331E80B.jpeg
    79D69F0A-CE33-4C2E-B9E6-A3EAB331E80B.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 30E78DD5-5615-484A-B38E-C811872A937D.jpeg
    30E78DD5-5615-484A-B38E-C811872A937D.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 80C2D478-2AAA-43AD-A737-B1E110A25846.jpeg
    80C2D478-2AAA-43AD-A737-B1E110A25846.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 67
I "try" to wipe mine down once a week .Tri toon is more difficult ,especially with morons who don't follow the No Wake Rules

It’s only been three weeks, but the pontoons and motor were starting to get a buildup of algae (I am required to keep the outboard down while in the slip at all times - narrow lanes). With 49 degree water, a thermal wetsuit was the only solution. Below the waterline is nice and clean now! Zoey even jumped in and played with me for a couple minutes.
I'm impressed! I also see that you're using a brush. Personally, I prefer carwash mitts (one for each hand) which Jack had suggested to me several years ago. A friend of mine bought me a fancy brush with telescoping handle, but honestly it just doesn't work as well as my mitts.

Ditto Mich’s advice. I switched to mitts per Jacks advice too. One in each hand, and it is surprising how much easier and quicker it goes.

Unfortunately like Michiman above, I too had bought a telescoping brush and handle origianlly, and it is much more awkward to use.

Go with the mitts and never look back. :cool:

That boat of yours makes you smile from ear to ear. Glad to see you are loving it and no PADS for you! Enjoy your summer!

Wow, now that's enthusiasm! Water temp here should top 70 this week, so I'll be doing a better job on the tubes soon. Mostly use brushes because the growth here needs something tougher than a carwash mitt to clean it off...maybe will try one as a follow up?

I actually use several implements. The brush is very soft and is great for the dirtier areas. It also is great for avoiding aluminum and welds burrs in a couple places. I also have a nice soft mitt... and a small microfiber towel for gently cleaning the transducer and some of the areas where the bigger implements won't fit. Cleaning below the waterline is really a calming, therapeutic thing to do. The music is gently playing, the sun is shining, and the water makes a great sound as it laps up against the logs. Very peaceful. It takes me about twice as long to do it then it could because I just enjoy being in the water that much.

Reading all of your comments I empathize with all of you. I kept my boat in the water since moving to North Carolina in 2014. I have used the car wash mitts, old socks, towels, washcloths, anything I could to keep those toons and lower unit clean! Every time we went out we made time to jump in and float on our throw pillows and saddles to wipe them clean. I've learned that having Sharkhide makes it so much easier to wipe away. But this year we are keeping our boat on a lift about 6 mins. from our house. What am I going to do with all that free time I'll have by not having to clean the waterline and underside of 3 toons?!? Ha! 20210406_132411.jpg

I've learned that having Sharkhide makes it so much easier to wipe away.
This is not apples to apples, but I will tell you, that shark hide is absolutely an amazing product. It doesn't necessarily keep growth from occurring, but with simple maintenance... I mean very simple maintenance... my pontoon will never look like this other guys pontoon next to me. The clean one is mine, the filthy one is the guy in the slip next to me whose boat went in the same week as mine. Mine has very little growth that easily wipes away. His is a mess. No shark hide.

Attachments

• 20210502_104619.jpg
    20210502_104619.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210502_104607.jpg
    20210502_104607.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 40
Reading all of your comments I empathize with all of you. I kept my boat in the water since moving to North Carolina in 2014. I have used the car wash mitts, old socks, towels, washcloths, anything I could to keep those toons and lower unit clean! Every time we went out we made time to jump in and float on our throw pillows and saddles to wipe them clean. I've learned that having Sharkhide makes it so much easier to wipe away. But this year we are keeping our boat on a lift about 6 mins. from our house. What am I going to do with all that free time I'll have by not having to clean the waterline and underside of 3 toons?!? Ha! View attachment 29998
"What am I going to do with all that free time" Bigkahuna sit down enjoy that view and have a cocktail! Ha!

This is not apples to apples, but I will tell you, that shark hide is absolutely an amazing product. It doesn't necessarily keep growth from occurring, but with simple maintenance... I mean very simple maintenance... my pontoon will never look like this other guys pontoon next to me. The clean one is mine, the filthy one is the guy in the slip next to me whose boat went in the same week as mine. Mine has very little growth that easily wipes away. His is a mess. No shark hide.
The shark hide does wear off below the water line after a few weeks .It does still make cleaning easier
I have mine reapplied every other season

The shark hide does wear off below the water line after a few weeks .It does still make cleaning easier
I have mine reapplied every other season
I think I will reapply every fall when I pull the boat out.

I use the same , just different color .:cool:

What Jack said about the waterline. Look closely. 4 coats of Sharkhide but it still discolors below the water line.....IMG_20210430_170404904_HDR.jpgIMG_20210430_170305943.jpg

Yup, ours still looks almost new above the waterline, going on 5th year.

Back