Build Questions

pgiron

Reaction score
Can someone explain why the same options are different prices on different levels of boat? e.g. 200 hp Yamaha is $12749 on 22Ss but $14773 on the similar L model. Same thing happens w Yamaha Deci and steering.
I'm just trying to figure out if the $18k difference is worth it.
Thanks for any insight regarding pricing!

2C73493A-1DFF-4ACB-9C7E-1E2AC91FDAC3.png14CC6D4F-CA60-46A4-8C78-4791E2B9EB8A.jpeg

I found similar issues when building an R vs LX model. Ultimately I did a line item comparison, ignored the detailed pricing, and focused on the totals. This pushed me into the LX over the R: The overall premium on the R did not represent a value for ME and the upgrades it offered. It's some work, but it is the right way to compare bottom line prices, line item prices and build will drive you CRAZY.

I found similar issues when building an R vs LX model. Ultimately I did a line item comparison, ignored the detailed pricing, and focused on the totals. This pushed me into the LX over the R: The overall premium on the R did not represent a value for ME and the upgrades it offered. It's some work, but it is the right way to compare bottom line prices, line item prices and build will drive you CRAZY.
Ditto this advice above by LA.

I somewhat did the same in the fall of 2016 wavering between and SXP model (now the L model) and a G model (now the LX model line). I wanted an R, but couldn’t get there. That left me looking at the SXP v G models.

In the end I ended up going with the SXP due to where the bottom line got me in line with the options/upgrades offered.

Im typical supply and demand, non-pandemic supply chain issue years, one has more negotiating room as you move up on each model. I have always wondered if part of it is the dealership having leeway on these sorts of line item differentials. I cannot prove that. It is simply just my “hunch”.

Keep in mind that the MSRP pricing delta between the different series may not accurately reflect what your dealer will actually charge you.
In other words, if the "R" has 5% more margin, your dealer may not keep all of it for profit. He may use it to show a larger discount off of MSRP.
So until you compare actual selling prices, you really don't know how much of a premium you are paying for the higher series boat.
Hope that made sense?

Keep in mind that the MSRP pricing delta between the different series may not accurately reflect what your dealer will actually charge you.
In other words, if the "R" has 5% more margin, your dealer may not keep all of it for profit. He may use it to show a larger discount off of MSRP.
So until you compare actual selling prices, you really don't know how much of a premium you are paying for the higher series boat.
Hope that made sense?
Excellent Point!!!!

Thanks all!
So far the sale off MSRP is 11.5-12%
Is this fair on an order, not in stock?
Seems like I've read anywhere from 15-23% elsewhere on the forum.
Any recent numbers from any ordered boats? ( fee free to PM me if you'd rather not throw your numbers out in public).

I would say that seems slightly light on the discount off the MSRP.
Many factors can contribute to this such as your specific model ordered, dealer buying power and of course timing with the recent price increase.
Our dealer was amazing out of the gate, and we were able to purchase our 2022LX26FBC for around $107,000 with an MSRP of around $138,000.
Came is around 22% or so discount. Best of luck!

Two recent trips to Bennington (and other manufacturers) dealers around here. One is 10% off MSRP and won't budge. The other is 20%. Very dealer dependent from my experience. It seems the larger the dealer, the smaller the discount, though don't quote me on that. I think 10% is ridiculous, and I won't touch it. We are about to sign the paperwork on a new tritoon, but we won't be stupid. Lol There are several Benny dealers within 2 hours of us. Fortunately.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the dealers will likely only get a fraction of the boats they ordered, so it would be understandable for them to offer a lesser discount. For example, they may need to make on 20 boats the same amount that they usually make on 30 boats. Make sense?

Two recent trips to Bennington (and other manufacturers) dealers around here. One is 10% off MSRP and won't budge. The other is 20%. Very dealer dependent from my experience. It seems the larger the dealer, the smaller the discount, though don't quote me on that. I think 10% is ridiculous, and I won't touch it. We are about to sign the paperwork on a new tritoon, but we won't be stupid. Lol There are several Benny dealers within 2 hours of us. Fortunately.
Same experience I have found. I shopped my build to 4 builders and the cheapest was the smallest. The largest straight up said “we can’t compete with mom and pop places”. Well I saved $4k going with the “mom and pop” dealer and they have been great so far with questions and the one warranty issue I’ve had.

This is interesting. Around us when I was shopping in 2016, the larger dealers were way better with negotiations flexibility and getting a better deal. The smaller places were not. They were not even close.

Everyone I know, including myself, chalked it up to larger place = more sales volume = can afford to sell on a tighter margin and while moving more boats vs. smaller or mom and pop place = smaller sales volume = not as much margin per sale to make money. Of course that logic doesn’t factory in overhead for larger and smaller places. However, our experience then was the opposite of some above.

Anyway, I wonder if this is regional or something. I know going through the largest dealer near me, I negotiated a hell of a discount back in 2016 on our 2017 order - a heck of a deal by those standards. In todays market, wouldn’t even be a consideration probably anywhere.

I don’t envy those trying to buy a Bennington (or any boat/pontoon) these days. Huge price increases over these past 5 years, tight supply chains and inventories, and crazy high demand. I know this is true of all these sorts of products, but with boats being such an expensive high end item, it is particularly jarring in the boat segment to see the changes in just the last couple of years.

We bought last year and the discount offered was definitely model dependent. 10% on S, 20% on L I think. Interestingly both boats ended up being close in price. Also we were on the low end of the price around $42,000 so I am sure the higher ends have more of a discount option.
All that being said we ordered before the supply shortages. When we picked it up the dealer said he could sell it that day for more than we paid. So I am sure discounts have decreased.

I almost walked away until it was pointed out to me that I was trying make this a "good financial decision" and a boat never is, just enjoy it!

This is interesting. Around us when I was shopping in 2016, the larger dealers were way better with negotiations flexibility and getting a better deal. The smaller places were not. They were not even close.

Everyone I know, including myself, chalked it up to larger place = more sales volume = can afford to sell on a tighter margin and while moving more boats vs. smaller or mom and pop place = smaller sales volume = not as much margin per sale to make money. Of course that logic doesn’t factory in overhead for larger and smaller places. However, our experience then was the opposite of some above.

Anyway, I wonder if this is regional or something. I know going through the largest dealer near me, I negotiated a hell of a discount back in 2016 on our 2017 order - a heck of a deal by those standards. In todays market, wouldn’t even be a consideration probably anywhere.

I don’t envy those trying to buy a Bennington (or any boat/pontoon) these days. Huge price increases over these past 5 years, tight supply chains and inventories, and crazy high demand. I know this is true of all these sorts of products, but with boats being such an expensive high end item, it is particularly jarring in the boat segment to see the changes in just the last couple of years.
I chalk it up to the biggest dealers knowing they will sell their boats at any price in today's market while the small ones sense a need to compete. I also sense that, if the dealer sells boats by multiple manufacturers, the Bennys are lower in price. Maybe that is driven by some manufacturers pushing boats out the door at bigger discounts, therefore creating a problem selling another brand at a lesser discount. I'm told by one dealer that some of these manufacturers 100% determine what the dealer can let it go for. They are protecting the brand integrity.

Last edited:
I almost walked away until it was pointed out to me that I was trying make this a "good financial decision" and a boat never is, just enjoy it!

True words right there!!!

You can make the best comparative/negotiable deal possible on a boat. But no boat purchase, or any other recreational lifestyle vehicle purchase is ever going to be a good financial decision. Just a matter of can you afford it and live with your choice in exchange for whatever enjoyment, pleasure, or satisfaction you will get from using it.

Back