Can you 'Up-tune' a Merc?

Mattie K

Reaction score
Ths may be a goofy question, but I'll put it out there anyway. When I bought my 2012 20SLI it came with a 2012 Merc 75. The dealer told me that the engine was the same as the Merc 90 and 115, but that it was 'de-tuned' down to 75. If this is the case, is it possible to 'up-tune' it to the 90 or 115 mode. Does the dealers explanation make any sense?

Ths may be a goofy question, but I'll put it out there anyway. When I bought my 2012 20SLI it came with a 2012 Merc 75. The dealer told me that the engine was the same as the Merc 90 and 115, but that it was 'de-tuned' down to 75. If this is the case, is it possible to 'up-tune' it to the 90 or 115 mode. Does the dealers explanation make any sense?
While that is supposed to be the difference between HP on some of the bigger supercharged models(Verado) because the computer controls boost and thus HP, on any other engine even though the same size cubic inch wise, there are changes in camshafts, fuel injector size, valves, and other things such as lower unit drive ratios. Not to mention any changes to "tuning" would void the warranty, thus potentially setting a person up for substantial economic distress if something happened to the engine. Sorry, but HP costs money, pure and simple.

Back