Captains Seat Adjustment Lever

Mike&Elaine

Reaction score
While driving boat, seat moved backward causing difficult steering. Tried to adjust seat position but lever arm came off completely. Found both plastic clamps that hold lever arm in position broken. Checked the other captains chair and found one clamp broken on the lever arm. Plastic clamps should not be used as they will not last very long. Tri-toon only 2 yrs old.

Contact your dealer ,2 years old is under warranty

had the same problem with my 2019, only on co-captain chair. I doubt that it was used more than 4 or 5 times. Dealer replaced the entire seat base. Hopefully only a one-time item.

Wow, the same thing broke on my seat this week. I figured it wasn't worth it to mess with the dealer. I just made one out of an old aluminum bracket I had. Works great.

We have just purchased used a 2016 Bennington 24SSRX. Wierd, but seems there NO SEAT HIEGHT ADJUST on both captains and the pedastal mate seats. We got all the way under the seat and when releasing the lever to adjust the seat higher, the seat came all the way off on a very short pedestal. My husband is 6ft tall and the seat sits too low. Do we need to get an extension pole to fit into the pedestal we need to get an extention "pipe" to create and adjustable seat? The manual does not seem to address this or I just can't find it.

We have just purchased used a 2016 Bennington 24SSRX. Wierd, but seems there NO SEAT HIEGHT ADJUST on both captains and the pedastal mate seats. We got all the way under the seat and when releasing the lever to adjust the seat higher, the seat came all the way off on a very short pedestal. My husband is 6ft tall and the seat sits too low. Do we need to get an extension pole to fit into the pedestal we need to get an extention "pipe" to create and adjustable seat? The manual does not seem to address this or I just can't find it.
Yeah, the seats do not adjust up or down. You can buy an aftermarket height adjustable pedestal or buy something like a Bolster Buddy to sit on. If you do a search in the upper right hand corner box there are a few threads over the last couple of years talking about both options. Some include links to height adjustable pedestals some members switched to and liked. Others talk about liking a Bolster Buddy and links to that.

To add to seat levers breaking off. The "rod" that Springfield uses to lock the adusting lever to the adjusting bar is a hollow, split rod, that's inserted into one side of the handle, through the adjusting rod, and into the other side of the handle. Two weeks ago my daughter handed me the handle; it pulled completely off the adjusting rod.

It hardly seems worth the warranty hassle (except to notify Springfield they have a faulty part). I put a cotter pin in it for the time being, and this weekend will replace the cotter pin with a #6 by 1" bolt and a nylon locking nut. I bought an extra bolt and nut, expecting that the adjusting bar on the driver's seat will come off sometime soon.

If this happens to you, you'll need to pull out the adjusting rod, and make sure it doesn't seat into one of the lock positions. Otherwise getting the adjusting lever back on the rod, and all the holes lined up, is nearly impossible.

I'll try to remember to get a photo this weekend, that should clear up this confusing note.

Jeff

To add to seat levers breaking off. The "rod" that Springfield uses to lock the adusting lever to the adjusting bar is a hollow, split rod, that's inserted into one side of the handle, through the adjusting rod, and into the other side of the handle. Two weeks ago my daughter handed me the handle; it pulled completely off the adjusting rod.

It hardly seems worth the warranty hassle (except to notify Springfield they have a faulty part). I put a cotter pin in it for the time being, and this weekend will replace the cotter pin with a #6 by 1" bolt and a nylon locking nut. I bought an extra bolt and nut, expecting that the adjusting bar on the driver's seat will come off sometime soon.

If this happens to you, you'll need to pull out the adjusting rod, and make sure it doesn't seat into one of the lock positions. Otherwise getting the adjusting lever back on the rod, and all the holes lined up, is nearly impossible.

I'll try to remember to get a photo this weekend, that should clear up this confusing note.

Jeff
I believe I have the problem of the holes not matching up. I tried to line up my handle / pin / and small tip with the hole in it … it’s not working. I guess I can ask my dealer how to do it???

Back