Carpet Replacement

Justin Byers

Reaction score
Good afternoon Bennington owners,

First post here. I do not own a Bennington yet but I have been looking for about 6 months now. Came across a 2012 24SL this week and went to check it today and it's perfect for my family with the exception of the carpet it has installed. I can not look past the carpet so before I make an offer on the boat, I would like to know what an estimated cost for replacement may be so I can factor that into my offer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin Byers

C0879AD5-8A38-4616-BF46-B2597D026CC3.jpeg D370978B-C81B-4A03-8E9C-52C65E8E111A.jpeg A97E245E-1AB8-449D-971B-71CF0E8D5B3B.jpeg I just replaced the carpet on mine with seagrass vinyl. I purchased the vinyl as a “seconds” on Craigslist for $500. It had a defect which is covered by the seats. New seagrass would have been $1500-2500. The special marine glue to hold it down was $100. So, doing it myself cost about $600. It was a fair amount of work, maybe 40 hours including deep cleaning all the seats, etc. I think it would have cost $3000-4000 to hire it out.

I hope I didn’t scare anyone away. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it. People at our marina are shocked that our boat is a 2003. I’m sure I increased the value more than the $600 I spent on it. Also, we love it.

Skeester, I watched this video on installing Seagrass:

Seems like the console needs to come off. Did you take your console off? If so was it difficult? If not, how did you work around it? Thanks.

I did take off my console. About six bolts. I did not remove the cabling or hydraulics. There was enough slack in the cabling to move the console around. I cut a hole in the sea grass and slice it so that I could slide it around the cabling, then I stapled it to the deck. It’s under the console, so you don’t see it.

A couple other pieces of info. I have a Tritoon with under deck wave shield. The wave shield is riveted aluminum so in some spots, rather than remove the shield, I cut the bolts and replaced with screws. Only two spots I needed to do this was the two interiors screws on the console and the six screws holding the base on the table.

Don’t be intimidated by rivets, though. A river gun is $20 at harbor freight and rivets are cheap as chips. It is very easy work. Just drill them out. They are aluminum, so pretty soft and easy to work with.

Yeah, riveting is not a problem (I have an Airstream :))
I've been thinking the same about just unbolting the console and working under it.
I have a Tritoon with wave shield also, and am not sure why the wave shield is a factor above the deck, but I'll figure that out, I'm sure.

I assume you took off the edge rail all around the sides, and in your pics it was already back on.

Right now, the biggest obstacle is the cost of that stuff! $2,500 for a 25' x 8.5' length at their company's website! Ouch!
(well, that and where do I get 40 hours of spare time!)

Anyway, thanks for the quick feedback!

The wave shield is a factor because many of the bolts are just that, bolts. They have a nut on the back that is covered by the wave shield.

I had to take off everything bolted to the deck, so edge rail, seats, top rail, lights, etc. It was flat plywood. I put the helm on a piece of scaffolding next to the boat but had to undo all of the zip ties keeping all the wiring neat.

Where are you located? I got my seagrass flooring from a guy in Kalamazoo, MI for $400. 29'x 8.5'. He gets truckloads of it. They are factory blemish rolls from one of the manufacturers (I think Bennington) in Indiana. I just put the blemish under the seat.

My carpet was broken and I replaced it with a new one. I used Henry 12185 Marine Carpet Adhesive to put carpeting in a Byline boat. It is carpet to replace upholstery and worked out great. It takes 7 days to dry to waterproof which is fine. The immediate adhering was strong but also allowed fine adjustments.

Back