Ceramic on vinyl

jcr159

Reaction score
Anyone here try ceramic coating (like they'd use on paint) on their vinyl? There's a youtuber (boat detailer) that shows its use quite a bit, but I wonder how it executes. The vinyl on my new toon has quite a bit of "texture", and that seems like a recipe for a nasty finish...

Alternatives for protection that anyone recommends? (preferably something that could stand up to Doritos and Cheetos someone will sneak them on the boat i'm sure of it... lol)

thanks!
-jack

Anyone here try ceramic coating (like they'd use on paint) on their vinyl? There's a youtuber (boat detailer) that shows its use quite a bit, but I wonder how it executes. The vinyl on my new toon has quite a bit of "texture", and that seems like a recipe for a nasty finish...

Alternatives for protection that anyone recommends? (preferably something that could stand up to Doritos and Cheetos someone will sneak them on the boat i'm sure of it... lol)

thanks!
-jack
The Semtex is a great fabric, but I hear from our dealership it can be tricky with aftermarket applications. I am not sure what the best type of fabric protection would be good to use on it. I belive our local dealership does offer a fabric protection insured by Pinnacle (?). I really don’t know anything about what they apply, how it works, or anything else.

Based on a history of questions about the fabric in this forum, you are getting educated guesses at best from most all of us. Whether those are long term safe for the fabric or not is suspect whenever it strays beyond the manufacture care instructions posting in this forum.

The Semtex is a great fabric, but I hear from our dealership it can be tricky with aftermarket applications. I am not sure what the best type of fabric protection would be good to use on it. I belive our local dealership does offer a fabric protection insured by Pinnacle (?). I really don’t know anything about what they apply, how it works, or anything else.

Based on a history of questions about the fabric in this forum, you are getting educated guesses at best from most all of us. Whether those are long term safe for the fabric or not is suspect whenever it strays beyond the manufacture care instructions posting in this forum.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I’ll stick with 303 for now and call it a day. It seems to work alright on my hot tub cover. And I see a lot of detailers using it as well….

Thanks for the advice! I guess I’ll stick with 303 for now and call it a day. It seems to work alright on my hot tub cover. And I see a lot of detailers using it as well….
I was told by the simtex mfg not to use 303 it will void the warranty. I have always used 303 on my boat vinyl but not for this material.

No ,the manufacturer recommends dawn dish soap for cleaning

Here‘s the Simtex care instructions pdf.

Attachments

• Bennington Simtex.pdf
    461.9 KB · Views: 41
Our marina offered a ceramic protection by ServiceGuard for ~$1,500. I was tempted to try it as it covered the interior and exterior, but ended up opting out since it was only for 5 years, I wasn't really clear how this works with maintaining the Bennington warranty, and I'm always afraid that if I need it there will be some type of fine print that disqualifies me. Even though it was offered by the dealer, I was still afraid that it may change the feel or look of the simtex and didn't want to risk it (the seats were a big selling point for me).

Our marina offered a ceramic protection by ServiceGuard for ~$1,500. I was tempted to try it as it covered the interior and exterior, but ended up opting out since it was only for 5 years, I wasn't really clear how this works with maintaining the Bennington warranty, and I'm always afraid that if I need it there will be some type of fine print that disqualifies me. Even though it was offered by the dealer, I was still afraid that it may change the feel or look of the simtex and didn't want to risk it (the seats were a big selling point for me).

I’m with ya…. Going to do what I can to protect the investment…. Including keeping the warranty intact. It’s funny how everyone notices different things when buying. We were all about layout and function. And only have a few options on hand made it so we got what we got! I didn’t even notice the upholstery other than color! And after renting pontoons in my area (NE Ohio) for the better part of 10 years, any boat that didn’t literally have lawn furniture on it qualified as “luxury”…. :p

Here‘s the Simtex care instructions pdf.
Did they change/update the care instructions ? Mine said Dawn ,this one says Ivory .
I'll going to have to find the instructions .

Did they change/update the care instructions ? Mine said Dawn ,this one says Ivory .
I'll going to have to find the instructions .
I’ll see Thursday when I take delivery what version of the instructions I get…. Maybe it’ll say Irish Spring? ;)

Mine was just delivered, Simtex cleaning instructions have been updated . I will try to make a copy later and post it ,But for now .
Do's
Soft Bristle Brush
Formula 409 + Water
Fantastic +Water
Ivory or Dawn dish soap +Water
Always rinse with water and pat dry

Don'ts
NO Eraser sponges
NO Power washers
NO Abrasives
NO Silicones
NO Full strength bleach
NO Hard Brushes

Congrats. Pics?

Thanks ,Ive got a few ,weather is still lousy . Ill get some up later .

Mine was just delivered, Simtex cleaning instructions have been updated . I will try to make a copy later and post it ,But for now .
Do's
Soft Bristle Brush
Formula 409 + Water
Fantastic +Water

Don'ts
NO Eraser sponges
NO Power washers
NO Abrasives
NO Silicones
NO Full strength bleach
NO Hard Brushes
This is what I pinned to the top of the Helpful Hints forum. Came from Bennington this past winter. I think it aligns with what you have above. If so, it have it posted now. If there are a couple diffences, maybe cut and past the above into a reply...? Here is the direct link:

Bennington’s latest Simtex Cleaning Instructions

Do's
Soft Bristle Brush
Formula 409 + Water
Fantastic +Water

Don'ts
NO Eraser sponges
NO Power washers
NO Abrasives
NO Silicones
NO Full strength bleach
NO Hard Brushes
My Experience: based on 1 season last year - with food, drink and lotion all over the boat - we found a low pressure power washer (battery operated - Dewalt on Low), you could spray your feet and arms with zero discomfort) did an amazing job - I assume similar to a powered washed down (and less pressure than a lot of hoses) - did an AMAZING job of cleaning our Simtex and floors. I say it was the fine mist......

My Experience: based on 1 season last year - with food, drink and lotion all over the boat - we found a low pressure power washer (battery operated - Dewalt on Low), you could spray your feet and arms with zero discomfort) did an amazing job - I assume similar to a powered washed down (and less pressure than a lot of hoses) - did an AMAZING job of cleaning our Simtex and floors. I say it was the fine mist......
Interesting, I saw a Ryobi model at Home Depot yesterday while there to get a deck brush to clean the water intakes of lake scum, lol…. Then searched for a dewalt as I’m locked in with tools and batteries already…. Seemed perfect. I don’t need high pressure, and don’t have access to clean water at the dock. The idea of bringing a few gallons to do a clean down every so after was appealing….

Speaking of…. Is using a little dawn (enough to barely suds things up), acceptable to use while the boat is on the water where the rinse will go in the lake? Is there ANY acceptable product to use that way?

Fun stuff…. I know I have simtex, but got the following with the boat delivery…. No mention of simtex, but the url ends in /sim and I believe spradling manufacturers simtex

6BA7DCAD-E9DB-449F-98AA-F6702EC5A682.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E1AB2C5-9CA9-45F3-9D4A-80BCCBF0EC1D.jpeg
    9E1AB2C5-9CA9-45F3-9D4A-80BCCBF0EC1D.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 10
  • F8F8FC3C-76A8-40AB-AA91-C1F26AB64C24.jpeg
    F8F8FC3C-76A8-40AB-AA91-C1F26AB64C24.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 11
Back