Changing engine oil on Volvo Penta

keithkz

Reaction score
My owner's manual says that to change the oil in my Volvo Penta engine I simply have to remove the dipstick and then the top of where the dipstick came out of is an adapter so you can use a manual or electric oil pump "from any marina" in order to suck the oil out of the engine rather than drain it from the bottom. So it's actually designed to be drained this way. Well I don't know what pump they're talking about but I certainly cannot use the one I just bought to change the outdrive lube. Does anyone know what exactly needs to be used to connect to this so I can drain the oil out????

Keith...........Just google.............. marine oil change pumps and a bunch of them come up in all kinds of price ranges..................

That's the same as the Yamaha SHO outboards. One thing to keep an eye on, many of the oil pump outs have a volume gauge on the side, take a check how much came OUT of the motor vs what the manual states should be in there. It'll give you an idea if you got most of it out.

That's the one we used on Mercedes. It holds plenty of oil and it's easy to use. Make sure you warm up the oil first.

Good because I ordered it this morning. :) Thanks guys.

Back