Changing my center tube

keithkz

Reaction score
Ok this is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway because I just don't know and can't find it already asked on here.

Is it possible or even worthwhile to change my (existing) center tube for that of an elliptical center tube in order for me to be able to make tighter turns when running at fast speeds (I'm assuming this would allow me to do this....if not then end of discussion)?  Any idea what the cost of this would be to have it done?

Keith

I think it may be cost prohibitive . You may have come down with a case of PAD's.

I think with an i/o it would be a lot of work and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

What They said. What a project!

It wouldn't be a project....I'd pay the dealer to do it.

It's only money then so if you have enough it's your call!! Hopefully motor mounts and everything else would line up.

It's only money then so if you have enough it's your call!! Hopefully motor mounts and everything else would line up.

Irrelevant.  The center tube does not connect the entire way down.  There is a separate tube under the motor/stern with a space in between each tube.

Irrelevant.  The center tube does not connect the entire way down.  There is a separate tube under the motor/stern with a space in between each tube.
I never looked at one that closely, but is that really true for an ESP I/O? For my outboard with ESP the entire center tube and transom is all one very heavy duty assembly.

I suppose anything's possible though it would very expensive, however relative to a NEW ESP I/O perhaps not so much, especially if you really like the boat as is.

Well maybe the new ones are different....mine is a 2005 and have looked under there many times while it has been on my trailer and it does not connect all the way down.

I'll call Wilson Marine here in Michigan and ask them....wonder how hard they're going to laugh when they hang up the phone.  :lol:

Our ESP with I/O is one continuous piece.

keithkz, is it possible that your setup is actuually an express tube?

No idea. I'd have to contact Bennington and give them my HIN and see. Did they have those tubes in 2005?

My I/O has an Express tube that connects to the engine pod..........so it's all 1 piece.

Well that shoots that out of the water then because my engine pod is definitely not connected to the rest of the center tube.

Daril, I would think that if the center tube is connected to the transom [i.e. a single piece] that is considered a full tube and is the SPS whereas if the transom is not an integral part of the center tube that is the Express Performance Package

I contacted Mandy @ Bennington and gave her my boat serial number.  All she said is that I have a 25' x 25" round center tube with in floor storage.

Yeah...I have been under my boat when it has been on a trailer and also in the water so I know for a fact that it doesn't connect.  I always thought it did the first year I had it but then was surprised when I looked under it and saw otherwise.  

Keith............does your center tube/engine pod look just like mine in the picture?!?

Hard to tell from that angle because you can't see all the way back there but in general yes.

Back