Coast Guard Sticker not there/replacement given wrong

Superphil69

Reaction score
I just bought a 2018 G23 GSR-SPS Plus Tri Toon

The sticker was not on the helm, or anywhere else, believe me I checked, so I went to the dealer and they ordered one. Great Right?
When it came in, the boat was only rated for 200 HP motor and 10 people. BUT,
Problem is I have a dealer installed Verado 250 on it!!
so, I bring this up and now they tell me the salesman didn't put right one, or any one for that matter, on it and they have one coming.

So, does anyone call BS on this? I knew something was up when all the other G23's on the forum only had 200 hp on them, at least what I saw.

Does anyone know why my boat package would suddenly allow a 250 HP motor and 12 people?

The owner I purchased it from gave me the original bill of sale from the dealer, and it is all correct as mentioned above..

So to confirm, you have the SPS+ hull and not the normal SPS?

SPS+ is rated to 250HP.
Normal SPS is 200HP.

You can confirm all of it directly with Bennington if feeling unsure with the dealer. Just need to get ahold of Bennington with your Hull ID. Regardless, you will want the right Capacity Plate just to have it all squared away In case of a safety check or what not.

Side Note: My boat came with the wrong capacity plate. However, the capacity plate that came with it is BETTER than what I have on my boat, so I am fine if my boat is inspected.

Our boat has the normal SPS hull with a 200HP Mercury Verado Pro.

My capacity plate says ESP hull with a top rating motor of something like a 300 or 350 or something... Since I am fine/legal, and know my boat, I have never worried about rectifying it.

When they ordered the new sticker originally, they ordered it off the hull ID but maybe I should call..

So to confirm, you have the SPS+ hull and not the normal SPS?

SPS+ is rated to 250HP.
Normal SPS is 200HP.

You can confirm all of it directly with Bennington if feeling unsure with the dealer. Just need to get ahold of Bennington with your Hull ID. Regardless, you will want the right Capacity Plate just to have it all squared away In case of a safety check or what not.
Out of Curiosity? What is the max HP for your boat?

Out of Curiosity? What is the max HP for your boat?
Updated my post above with an interesting side note in response to your question....

Again I'm new to the Bennington lingo. What's the difference between SPS and SPS+?
Bennington literature was not very clear

Again I'm new to the Bennington lingo. What's the difference between SPS and SPS+?
Bennington literature was not very clear
The SPS is their normal full length, equal size, tritoon hull. They started offering and SPS+ in 2017. It has thicker aluminum pontoon walls, and I think a better transom support...something like that. Anyway, that is why the SPS is capped at 200HP vs. the SPS+ at 250HP. The more robust construction of the SPS+ allows for a slightly larger motor as the boat can handle the demands of it.

I know someone posted a picture recently in another thread that had the detailed differences in each hull. If I can find it, I will reshare or relink here.

Here is a screen shot from the basic Bennignton online description of them:
E6FD5F68-151F-44A8-B1CC-2B4C404B559B.jpeg

You can contact Bennington with your hull ID .

I had the same problem. My boat originally had the incorrect sticker, showing a max H.P. of 200, although the dealer had installed a 250. I didn't want the water patrol guys to write me up, so I reached out to Bennington and they sent me the correct one. Just email them and provide your Hull I.D. But unlike me, take the time to work the bubbles out of that sticker when you apply it. o_O

Bennington uses The hull number when they send a replacement sticker... doubt they made a mistake due to the liability if they did.

Back